Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on the forum in a few years but time to get back on and figure out some issues with my sportsman.

2006 sportsman 500 efi
4x4 stopped working a few weeks ago. 4x4 light comes when when I turn the switch on but no engagement. Fluid was low so I changed it. 4x4 worked fine again. Drug some logs and some firewood and worked good.

It has sat for a week or so and it is having the same issue. 4x4 light is on but no engagement. Everything spins freely. I checked the fluid level and it is fine.

I do not feel like there is any mechanical issues or damage in the hub since it worked again after changing the fluid. Should I change the fluid again or start trying electrical connections? I have done several google searches but none of the results seem to match my exact issue.

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
I would change the fluid again!! It worked before hoping it will work again. My thinking is the fluid became crapped up again and needs to be changed. Inspect the fluid that comes out that will be a key indicator as to what's going on in the diff. Outside of that you can test for 12v at the connector and resistance test the coil should be around 25ohm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the sensor that recognizes the wheel spin on the rear tires develop an issue?

·
11,998 Posts
Can the sensor that recognizes the wheel spin on the rear tires develop an issue?
I agree with bp. Double check all electrical connections first. If no problems found, I'd drain it into a clean (preferably light colored) container to inspect the oil for contaminants. Run it a few miles to get the oil warmed and mixed well and drain it again while still warm and mixed. If that don't get it working it may be time for it to be freshened up with new armature plate #31 and roller cage assembly #'s 10 & 11 (cage, rollers & springs).

Oh, and contrary to a common misconception... THERE IS NO "SENSOR" THAT DETECTS REAR WHEEL SLIPPAGE.
AWD engagement is totally mechanical and is simply enabled by an electromagnet in the cover plate #2 when power is applied to its coil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I got it as warm as I could being 25 out and the garage not heated yet. I drained the differential and it was full of dark gunk. No metal (which made me feel a little better). I left the drain open and did a little flushing with the drive fluid and than refilled. Went out and it worked again. I think its just really dirty in there and the cold doesn't allow it to flow very well. I'm going to continue to run it and keep changing it. Not ideal with the cost of the drive fluid but it needs done.
Does anyone have a better suggestion for flushing the hub out? I can't imagine putting any fluid in there that is not the drive fluid can be good for it, seeing that it requires such a specific fluid.

·
11,998 Posts
I'd probably just run it for now since you've flushed it pretty good and maybe just start changing it about every couple hundred miles or 20 hours for a while. If its really that bad you could put it on blocks and fill with diesel fuel. Run it on the blocks a little to stir up all the crap and then dump it. Let it drain a couple hours and then do another flush with Demand drive to get all the diesel out. It should come out pretty clean by then.
Or... al little less aggressive method would be to use ATF for a couple flushes then fill with Demand Drive when all the gunk is out.

·
11,998 Posts
So I got it as warm as I could being 25 out and the garage not heated yet. I drained the differential and it was full of dark gunk. No metal (which made me feel a little better). I left the drain open and did a little flushing with the drive fluid and than refilled. Went out and it worked again. I think its just really dirty in there and the cold doesn't allow it to flow very well. I'm going to continue to run it and keep changing it. Not ideal with the cost of the drive fluid but it needs done.
Does anyone have a better suggestion for flushing the hub out? I can't imagine putting any fluid in there that is not the drive fluid can be good for it, seeing that it requires such a specific fluid.
I can't imagine putting any fluid in there that is not the drive fluid can be good for it, seeing that it requires such a specific fluid.
Nah, its not THAT sensitive. Demand drive fluid is just a 10w hydraulic type oil. Polaris recommended ATF as an alternative for DD for many years on the older machines. in fact, some guys use it all the time rather than expensive and sometimes hard to get DD.
When I'm talking a bout "flushing", I mean fill the gearcase, put the plugs in and run it a little while and then pull the drain and "flush" out the gunk. Your just wasting oil to pour it through with the plug out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried running it today and no 4x4. Drained it and fluid was black. It must really be bad in there. I am going to take your advice tomorrow polman and put some diesel in it.

·
11,998 Posts
I tried running it today and no 4x4. Drained it and fluid was black. It must really be bad in there. I am going to take your advice tomorrow polman and put some diesel in it.
If its that bad I'd fill, run it a few minutes on blocks, flush and repeat until it comes clean or mostly clean and then let it drain a couple hours before filling with oil. May not fix it but shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't run it hard or fast with the diesel in there since it'll be washing the bearings off clean with no lubrication. All you're really trying to do is wash the gunk out.
Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
700 Posts
Would it not be better to disassemble them and clean them out? You may be eating the bearings if the fluid keeps coming out black. I use type f atf only and 4wd never misses a beat.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Polaris recommended it at the time. It’s a lot cheaper and can get anywhere

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,167 Posts
It’s not the same but it will work. If you have warranty and use ATF you’ll have a fight ahead of you if you try to get it warrantied. I’m surprised your dealer would tell you to use ATF. The John Deere Hy-Gard also works and Amsoil makes their own. Personally I use the Amsoil and haven’t had any issues with it. Die hards will tell you to use the Demand Drive from Polaris.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Do you have oil bath hubs or seals bearings? I thought we were talking about the old oiled hubs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know for sure but I think it has sealed bearings.
I have it full of deisel at the moment just to soak. Tomorrow I will warm it up and run it a bit just to maybe get any sludge out. If this doesn't work ill start checking electrial.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
4,467 Posts
I don't know for sure but I think it has sealed bearings.
I have it full of deisel at the moment just to soak. Tomorrow I will warm it up and run it a bit just to maybe get any sludge out. If this doesn't work ill start checking electrial.
Post a picture, we will tell you what you have!

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
The diesel will do he trick in this situation. Also remember diesel is a lubricant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just drained the diesel for the second time and it looked a lot cleaner. There wasn't any sludge on the drain plug either. I'm letting it sit with some heat on it to drain for few hours than I'll run some DD fluid to flush out the deisel. I will Update the results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just did one more flush with the DD fluid and filled it up. 4wd is working. Ran it hard up a hill in a foot of snow and ran the whole time. Well see what it does tomorrow after sitting tonight.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts