Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 sportsman 500 that am having problems with the 4x4. Before it would engage fine in low gear, but only at higher rpms in high gear. Today i went to try and figure out the problem got the tires off the ground and now it wont engage at all and it sounds like metal is rubbing somewhere. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked the front hubs, and all of the electrical and everything looks good, but i think i found the problem. The sleeve over the spindle for the front drive shaft is completely stripped and has no teeth left on it and i think it just isnt grabbing there so after i replace that i'll see what happens but i would assume thats what has been my problem.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
11,135 Posts
i checked the front hubs, and all of the electrical and everything looks good, but i think i found the problem. The sleeve over the spindle for the front drive shaft is completely stripped and has no teeth left on it and i think it just isnt grabbing there so after i replace that i'll see what happens but i would assume thats what has been my problem.
If your talking about the front prop shaft yoke on the front differential, its supposed to have a roll pin through it. I usually replace them with a grade 8 bolt and lock nut when I have them out for other service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts