Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New here. I have a 2005 Sportsman that the 4x4 won't engage on. Not a whole lot of hours on it. I used to work on some of the older models but don't know much about troubleshooting the newer 4x4 engagement issues. Also the headlight does not work but the speedo does work. All help with diagnosing procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

When you say the 4X4 won't engage, are you driving the atv into a situation where the back tires are spinning? Just flipping the switch in the driveway won't do anything as it's a "demand" system. In other words, with the 4X4 switch on, the front diff will engage only when the back wheels are losing traction.

Headlight not working.....not to be a smart ass but, did you check the bulb?

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah I checked the bulb. Some machines in the past would have issues where if something did not work then that was an indicator about a connected problem. Just throwing that out there just in case. The machine will not go into 4 wheel drive at all. No light indicator on the dash and the front wheels don't engage when the back wheels slip. At times a wrench icon flashes on the dash indicating service but I don't know if that is an indicator regarding the 4x4 feature or if there is another reason for the indicator light to come on. Such as is it at the hour/time mark to get a normal service. I bought this used recently and the previous owner had no problems with it at all. Thanks on the interest and please keep the ideas and possible checks/fixes coming if you can.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
So neither Lo nor Hi work? Fuses? Connections?

Do you have a service manual for your atv? Pretty sure they have good troubleshooting sections.

In any case, I'm sure someone will offer some help here.

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 04 500. I've jacked it up and ran 12 volts directly to the front diff. Nothing happened. So everything that I've read about this kinda points to a couple of Items . One being the magnet that engages the front diff or the armature plate could have the fingers bent or torn off causing it not to engage. Can somebody tell me if I'm on the right track? The magnet(armature) is supposed to be available from Polaris at a cost of like $368.00 with the armature plate. There has to be a better way than this, can you here me aftermarket? I also heard that John Deere Gator parts will work, anybody got those part numbers?

·
Registered
417 Posts
At this point I'd do an ohm check on the front coil. Sounds like it's open. That will tell you if a new armature plate is needed. Also check the voltage going to your battery while it's running. A bad regulator could blue your bulbs and burn out the armature plate. Hate to see you replace one just to have and do it all over.

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone know what ohms its supposed to read? Its not open I think it read 24 ohms. I'm gonna tear it down tomorrow. Like i said before the aftermarket needs to build something for this application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts