Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 1000xp ultimate trail. Aftermarket wheels and tires, had my heart set on 28" Bearclaw HTR 9" front 11" rear on 14" bead locks. I definitely want extended fender flares, but saw someones picture of this setup and the rears looked to close for comfort (rear wheel to fender flare). They make 27" but only in 9"
So I switched thinking to 27" GBC grim reapers. Better clearance, little less weight. Now concerned loosing 1" making it more of a rough ride than it already is riding on a 14" rim width 8 ply tires.

The picture of the bear claws were 6+1 offset, thinking of going 5+2, has anyone done this on a non lifted sportsman, how is it. My trails are not width restricted so not concerned there, just wondering if it puts any major stress on the axles or anything in that area? And how does it looks, does it looks totally absurd or does it looks cool with an extra 2" width? I will be getting fender flares.

Is the offset same in the front as the rears? What are your thoughts?? And what is the thread pattern 4/156 or something like that.

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
Yup bolt pattern 4-156.

5+2 is as wide of an offset I would go on an XP chassis. IMHO 4+3 looks RIDICULOUS!!!

6+1 would be preferred better steering characteristics because of less tire scrub!!

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,117 Posts
What he said ^^^^

You are good with 28’s on stock suspension set up with no rubbing or significant front end or clutching issues. 27’s are good as well, all depends on your riding style. The weight difference will not be noticeable on your 1000, so don’t let that be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup bolt pattern 4-156.

5+2 is as wide of an offset I would go on an XP chassis. IMHO 4+3 looks RIDICULOUS!!!

6+1 would be preferred better steering characteristics because of less tire scrub!!
Thanks for the reply guys! What is tire scrub?
Also stock is about 6+1 offset, is that the same offset front and rear wheels? So when I ordered my wheels get the same offset number for front and rear?

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
Tire scrub is basically the "actual" tires center point radius in relation to the suspension/steering center point radius. The difference is the "tire scrub"!!! So basically with a wider offset wheel the actual center point of the tire has become wider while the suspension/steering center point has remained the same. So the steering "feel" and performance will change the more scrub the machine has. Not to mention the additional stresses put on the suspension and steering components.

FYI when a machine is built and designed, zero tire scrub is the norm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire scrub is basically the "actual" tires center point radius in relation to the suspension/steering center point radius. The difference is the "tire scrub"!!! So basically with a wider offset wheel the actual center point of the tire has become wider while the suspension/steering center point has remained the same. So the steering "feel" and performance will change the more scrub the machine has. Not to mention the additional stresses put on the suspension and steering components.

👍👍 gotcha, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts

Fluke makes a meter for that!

Reactions: Scrappy507

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
Lol I'll add that to the list 🤣😉😁💯❗

Reactions: FPD218
1 - 8 of 8 Posts