Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Sportsman EFI and the last time I took it out it shut down on me twice. I had a problem with my injector a while back where it would shut down after it got wet. My buddy and I stripped the plastic and checked all the wiring, found chaffes and repaired. When the bike shuts down and I try and restart it, the gas pump does turns on (didn't before previous repair). Spoke to buddy who works for Polaris dealer and he says he has not heard of this problem of it just shutting down. The second time I was wide open and it just shut off and I noticed the fan was running. My only current problem I know of is that my battery is weak, sluggish trying to turn over.
Anybody have this problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It sounds like your having problems with a weak fuel pump shutting down when it gets hot. I'm surprised that your buddy at Polaris hasn't heard about this considering its well documented on here of numerous people having the same issues. Check out this Thread by Akstew http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-repair-maintenance/19800-fixed-700-sportsman-efi-spitting-sputtering-dying-when-ridden-hard.html .He put in many long hours of work and research with some help from others to figure this out and find a cheap fix for it. There are other threads on hear where he chimed in to help others out. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I will definitely check it out. I will also let my buddy know.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Next time you go riding, leave an EFI fuel pressure gauge connected to the Schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail. If it acts up again and the fuel pressure maintains 39 +/- 3 psi, you can eliminate the pump itself as the problem.

I just had a similar episode this weekend with the pump not running at all. It turned out there was a bad wire at or near the fuel pump connector located under the "hood" just beneath the headlight pod. The wires look good to the eye but the hot wire to the pump had broken strands inside it. You can tell if you pull on it and the insulation feels too stretchy compared to the other wires. Same issue as the MAP sensor harnesses, which your mechanic buddy should be familiar with.

Stew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am assuming I should tyrapp it or tape it down to keep it in place, yes? Also, can a regular run of the mill gauge work or would I need to find something rugged to withstand the banging it might take. Do they have fluid in the dial to help absorb shocks and vibration? I don't own one is why I am wondering what to be looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts