Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 h.o. efi sportsman 4x4. last summer had to put on a new starter. everything was fine after that. sat up for months in my garage in southern louisiana. went out the other day put a charger on it the charger said it was fully charged tried to start electrically and would not even click the lights were bright. so i tried pull starting it and pulled about 20 times 3 different occasions. NOTHING didnt even sound like it was going to do anything. PLEASE Help its finally warm enough to ride and i cant get my bike started. Is there a way to jump start a 4 wheeler. or spray ether even though it doesnt have a carb?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
you can put starter fluid through the airbox but a better way is to put a bit of gas in the plug hole. While you have the plug out check to see if you have a solid blue spark. Motors need gas, spark, compression and air. Air is free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
check spark plugs is always a good start..do you hear the starter engage the flywheel or does it just freely spin? if the flywheel isnt engaging and turning the engine then your bendix is probably bad. it is located under flywheel cover.. the starter gear turns it and should easily spin one way and slide to engage the flywheel, then it should spring back to place..im going through similar starting problems

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
make sure your engine switch is on run....its a common thing to forget..I have done it before...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be a bad cell in the battery. Had it hooked to a charger, and the charger light said fully charged, but apparently with a dead cell, it wont start. Put new battery in , and fired right up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check spark plugs is always a good start..do you hear the starter engage the flywheel or does it just freely spin? if the flywheel isnt engaging and turning the engine then your bendix is probably bad. it is located under flywheel cover.. the starter gear turns it and should easily spin one way and slide to engage the flywheel, then it should spring back to place..im going through similar starting problems
brand new bendex on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can put starter fluid through the airbox but a better way is to put a bit of gas in the plug hole. While you have the plug out check to see if you have a solid blue spark. Motors need gas, spark, compression and air. Air is free.

I can put starter fluid in the airbox even though its efi?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You can but you are better putting some gas in the plug hole and see if it fires. If it does then you have a fuel issue. The fact you can not hear the fuel pump leads me to believe that is where your issue lies. Pull the plug, see if it fires when you pull it. It doesn't have to start, just fire for a second. If it does then you have spark and compression and you need to work the fuel system.

·
Registered
378 Posts
make sure your engine switch is on run....its a common thing to forget..I have done it before...

Agree! And anything mentioned above wont do you any good if this is either off or not making good contact internally. Clean with contact cleaner as moisture causes corrosion. Its crazy that this little switch can cause big headaches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts