Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been asked before but i cant find anything that actually helps me. I have a 2012 500 ho and am having problems with the exhaust in deep water. That's pretty much all I ride. If I get in mud and water just above the exhaust my bike starts cutting out and then dies if I don't get the exhaust out fairly quick. I have checked all the connections and spark plug and all that. The only possible thing I could think of now if that I'm getting too much back pressure from the exhaust. All my buddies ride 500 ho's with no problem at all. It's the stock exhaust by the way and I have my idle turned up to 1350 rpm. Would getting a aftermarket slip on help any by giving the engine more air flow and less back pressure? ive looked into the hmf swamp series and wouldn't mind it but I'm not doing an exhaust snorkel lol. I would also rejet if needed with the slip on so that's no problem. So any help would be great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey man.. theres a little hose off the side of your carb. for some reason polaris just tucked the hose into the frame and left it there, if any water reaches the hose it snuffs the bike out. just locate this hose, pull it off and put a longer one on and bring it up to your light pod. i dont know why they didnt do this from stock but they didnt..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I found that line when I was relocating all the other lines. Everything is dielectric greased and all the lines are up so the exhaust is the only thing left I can possibly think of.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have my idle set @ 1600rpm
And made sure to apply di electric to the spark plug boot as well..
If you think you have done all the waterproofing and bringing the idle does not help maybe you have a small hole in a vent line

·
Registered
205 Posts
The exhaust should not be the issue
If the idle is up far enough 1450-1700rpm depending on when your clutch will engage,,
remember to set the idle in gear

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I don't You've tried pulling the choke out a lil , when you're in the water? On mine , it seems that if the water is too cold , it cools down the motor and sometimes just pulling the choke out a bit , keeps it running, summertime i don't have a problem.
If you can find a hole to sink the front-end, cover up the motor and not the muffler, then you should be able to find out what's wrong.
Could try taking the plug out of the muffler and see if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm probably ordering the big gun full exhaust and dynojet jet kit today so we will see if that's my problem. I asked a guy I know pretty well about it and he said the all his polaris bikes had the same problem with the stock exhaust for some reason. And he's knows his stuff pretty well because that's how he makes his living is working on atv's and trucks lol. I've still got to change my front wheel bearings and do the first service before I ride again so i'm going ti go through the bike again and check all the connections and vent lines to make sure nothing needs dielectric grease or anything like that. hopefully the exhaust will fix my problem! Ill let everyone know if that was the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also does anyone know what the vent line coming off the very bottom of the motor is? It's only about 8 or 9 inches long and it runs down just barely through the skid plate.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Maybe the drain line for the air box?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it's coming straight out of the bottom of the motor. It's not the carb drain or anything like that. It's on the very bottom of the motor about where the starter is.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have the same machine. Its all stock for time being and it will stall if the water gets to the tail lamps. I have all vent lines to pod, clutch backing plate sealed, clutch cover sealed, check valve on float bowl, air box lid sealed, snorkel to lid connection sealed, dielectric grease in plug boot and EVERY plug on the machine. It still stalls if the water gets over the muffler. Even if Im at FULL throttle and the water gets over the whole muffler it will putter out and die. The SECOND the muffler is out of the water, it will fire up and never miss a beat. I dont get it cause Ive had several polaris machines and never had them do this. Im gonna try the same exhaust mod on the stock muffler and see if that helps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine will idle with the back of the machine completely underwater..
I just had to bring up the idle a bit..
I have stock exhaust.. Not sure what the difference would be

·
Registered
805 Posts
Here is a very good example of what it sounds like. Doesnt sound like a spark issue, sounds like its just being choked off. This is not my video but it sound Identical. This guy is not having it shut off, but its just like mine. I bet if he went another 3-4 inches deep it would die.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You have moved the Carb vent line that is wedged into the frame? it needs to be extended to get it up to the headlight pod

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mine will idle with the back of the machine completely underwater..
I just had to bring up the idle a bit..
I have stock exhaust.. Not sure what the difference would be

Yes, vent line up to pod. ive had other 500s and never had this problem. What gets me is that it does it even when Im on the throttle. I went on a poker run today and I was having some trouble getting out of a hole. I was high centered and leaned the bike to the left to get some bite, then I leaned it to the right, water went up to the rear rack or so and it stalled out. The front of the machine was nearly out of the water. Spark plug was not under. Water in the front was barely over the axles. Its got me frustrated cause Im not a fan of aftermarket exhausts or exhaust snorkels but I may have no other option. Im gonna see how the exhaust mod helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this has probably been asked before but i cant find anything that actually helps me. I have a 2012 500 ho and am having problems with the exhaust in deep water. That's pretty much all I ride. If I get in mud and water just above the exhaust my bike starts cutting out and then dies if I don't get the exhaust out fairly quick. I have checked all the connections and spark plug and all that. The only possible thing I could think of now if that I'm getting too much back pressure from the exhaust. All my buddies ride 500 ho's with no problem at all. It's the stock exhaust by the way and I have my idle turned up to 1350 rpm. Would getting a aftermarket slip on help any by giving the engine more air flow and less back pressure? ive looked into the hmf swamp series and wouldn't mind it but I'm not doing an exhaust snorkel lol. I would also rejet if needed with the slip on so that's no problem. So any help would be great.
me and my friends all ride 2012-2013 sportman 500H.O we found the putting a street bike pipe works amazing and sounds unreal and runs under water like a boss

1 - 18 of 18 Posts