Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to site and new to Polaris. I have a 2009 Sportsman 500 H.O. LE with about 11 hours on it, bought new and have only had the quad about 3 months. Issue is quad will stall and not re-start when there is still about 1 - 1 1/2 gallons of fuel yet gauge will indicate 1/2 tank of fuel. Brought back to dealer and it did the same thing when I went to pick it up. Both times filled tank with fuel and then it ran fine. They replaced the gas tank and mechanic says he has never seen or heard of this problem. He said he was going to email Polaris to see if any other reports of this. If I got a 4.1 gallon fuel tank I don't want to have to haul extra fuel to get it to run if I still gor fuel in the tank. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just heard from the dealer's service tech. He talked to Polaris and they recommended replacing the fuel pump with a 2010 fuel pump. Part is on order, hope it fixes the problem!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Just heard from the dealer's service tech. He talked to Polaris and they recommended replacing the fuel pump with a 2010 fuel pump. Part is on order, hope it fixes the problem!
Just wondering if changing the fuel pump fixed your problem?

·
Registered
337 Posts
"They replaced the fuel tank" !!?? What were they hoping to accomplish by doing that??

·
Registered
601 Posts
The only problem,i've seen and heard was these quads getting vapor locked at times...even happened to me....i let it sit and cool down and i hav'nt had the problem since...i thinking it maybe in the venting system of the motor....what to do about it...has me puzzled.....Muddie49

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Mine definately wasn't vapor locked, just no fuel coming down the line until I added a little gas. I actually just ordered a new pump, 47 bucks is cheap insurance. I am going to use the old one as a guinea pig and pull it all apart and if I screw something up, oh well it doesn't matter :wink1:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
My first thoughts where that the "pick up" in the tank was mounted too high. IE it was above the level of the fuel and the sensor for the fuel was also mounted too high showing more fuel than there really was. I do not think its fixable, so swapping the tank would be the fix...

Hope all is well now.

CW

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
"They replaced the fuel tank" !!?? What were they hoping to accomplish by doing that??
Probably thought the sender was a "pump" instead of a guage. They say the only way to "service" it is to change the whole tank assembly. Doesn't make sense, you can unplug it and the bike runs just fine. Has to be a negative pressure pump issue. I had just cleaned my carb and it was gleaming. What else could it be?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow! Mine is having the same issue. Everyone says "oh your carburetor needs cleaned". Well the carb is clean! The issue is that the bike acts like it is out of gas when it Still has some in it. I will say that this weekend I rode with a guy on a 2008 bike just like mine. At lunch his gas gauge read less than half a tank. Mine still had 3/4 tank. We rode the same trails together.

All I know is that yeasterday i did not fill it up because it had 1/2 a tank and I took my wife out riding. It abruptly died with a little less than half a tank of gas and would not restart. I even opened it and looked inside. It had gas! We pushed it to the trailer and took it to the gas station and filled it up. It started right up.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Wow! Mine is having the same issue. Everyone says "oh your carburetor needs cleaned". Well the carb is clean! The issue is that the bike acts like it is out of gas when it Still has some in it. I will say that this weekend I rode with a guy on a 2008 bike just like mine. At lunch his gas gauge read less than half a tank. Mine still had 3/4 tank. We rode the same trails together.

All I know is that yeasterday i did not fill it up because it had 1/2 a tank and I took my wife out riding. It abruptly died with a little less than half a tank of gas and would not restart. I even opened it and looked inside. It had gas! We pushed it to the trailer and took it to the gas station and filled it up. It started right up.
Do you have a reserve setting? Maybe try running in reserve and see if you go farther...

CW

·
Registered
99 Posts
Brand new to site and new to Polaris. I have a 2009 Sportsman 500 H.O. LE with about 11 hours on it, bought new and have only had the quad about 3 months. Issue is quad will stall and not re-start when there is still about 1 - 1 1/2 gallons of fuel yet gauge will indicate 1/2 tank of fuel. Brought back to dealer and it did the same thing when I went to pick it up. Both times filled tank with fuel and then it ran fine. They replaced the gas tank and mechanic says he has never seen or heard of this problem. He said he was going to email Polaris to see if any other reports of this. If I got a 4.1 gallon fuel tank I don't want to have to haul extra fuel to get it to run if I still gor fuel in the tank. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
"Never seen or heard of this problem", That's a standard Polaris dealer come back and I've heard it many times. All one needs to do is look at this site and you'll know that the problems that Polaris's have stem from engineering and are common to most Polaris's. A Polaris's are new for a very short period of time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess the answer is not to let it get below half a tank.

I am wondering if the sending unto in the tank is too high or something. Could that be a possibility?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess the answer is not to let it get below half a tank.

I am wondering if the sending unto in the tank is too high or something. Could that be a possibility?
OK, I assume you have a carb. and not FI, correct??? A buddy has an 06 Pol. SP500FI and it would shut off/stall when he came off the throttle. We adjusted the throttle cable and the problem went away. Could be your ETC is killing your engine. Just a thought. That would happen with a carb. also...

·
Registered
99 Posts
But it runs great until between half and a quarter of a tank. How would the throtle cable effect it?
That's true, don't pay any attention to your fuel guage, their way off from the factory. Check your throttle for excessive play should be about a 1/16th free play. Heat might be playing a role somewhere, check that the fuel lines are not close to heat sources. That situation is spooky but hey it's a Polaris. One other thing you should check un related to your fuel problem. On my 05 SP500HO ,right front CV boot shield cuts into lower radiator hose, i don't know if yours is the same but if it is, it doesn't take long for thre hose to be cut by the up/down action of the shield. I took a pair of snips and trimmed the shield away. Engineering????? Just trying to help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is now shutting off with a full tank of gas.

Is there some type of vent on the gas tank that could be pinched?

Could it be the silver pump thing on the inside of the "driver" side wheel well?

Any other thoughts?

How much Is the fuel pump?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I might have missed it but is your mach. EFI or carb.? Never mind, looked back and I assume it's a carb. Your mach seems too new for the fuel pump to be gone south, there isn't much to them. Is the mach. hot/cold when it quits?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It could be the fuel pick up in the tank. Make sure it is laying flat in the bottom of the tank.

Sent via Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts