Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much noticeable difference in a sportsman 500 vs 500 HO?

Looking at 2002 models and just wondering is there much difference in power

Thanks
JT

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
To me anyway, practically no difference in power

between a non-HO Sporty 500 and an Sporty 500 HO. Now before everyone has a coronary, I am comparing the two machines I own. I can say they are both well running, well maintained and operating according to specs. Only difference is the model year. Non HO is a '98 and HO is '10. To me, both perform from 0-55mph virtually identically. Both pull just as hard from a standstill, from mid speed up to 55. I drive on dirt & grass so I won't attempt anything beyond 55 on them, they can probably top out at 60, too scared for that! Technically, of course, they are different. Older one has lots more zerks to lube. Older one has a smally carb and a larger fuel tank (5.25 vs. 4.1). Ok now the rest of you, Chime in! :tuschel:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i am looking to purchase a low mileage 02 500 sportsman ho,although i have owned hondas for years, i have never owned a polaris , the suspenion on the polaris has me wanting to to give the sportsman a try,

how do you like 98 sportsman, any issues? how do you like the pvt transmission,
any comments about the polaris is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The HO's do have a little more power as they have a bigger throttle body and more aggressive cam shaft. That was the difference. Older non HO 500's are prone to rounding out the cam lobes at which point people end up putting in the cam and carb anyways.

PVT and 4x4 system is very good and reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, the 02 500 ho sounds like a pretty reliable machine. i am assuming parts are still readily available for these machines and not an issue. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Perfect timing for me to locate this 500 HO thread,,,,

I'm looking at an almost new '13 500 HO. I've never owned a Polaris before so not only am I searching for info on the 500 HO I'm digging for any Sportsman facts I can find. Any information is appreciated.

My first two hesitations are the 500 being kind of on the smaller cc size and no power steering. I mostly trail ride in the mountains of N Georgia and SE Tennessee, water, rocks and more rocks. I've ridden the King Quad 700 (no PS) and the Brute Force 750 w/ PS quiet a bit. I was pretty much settled on the '13 30 year anniversary King Quad w/PS when I stumbled across the Sportsman 500 HO. Again, any thoughts or information will help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well i have no power steering and if i wold buy a new one i think i wold go with out it. Just sum thing that's going brake in the long run and probably expensive to fix.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well i have no power steering and if i wold buy a new one i think i wold go with out it. Just sum thing that's going brake in the long run and probably expensive to fix.
Ahhh, it's always those without power steering that downgrade it. Once you have it you will never own another 4wheeler without it. It's not about who is stronger than who. Would you buy a car with out power steering? No cause once you experience it, you'll always want it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ahhh, it's always those without power steering that downgrade it. Once you have it you will never own another 4wheeler without it. It's not about who is stronger than who. Would you buy a car with out power steering? No cause once you experience it, you'll always want it.
LOL i new that this was going to happen. I don't mean downgrade it just i'm fine with out it. Road quads with it and its nice but i think i don't need it just my preference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Easy boys, just looking for good first hand info :<) I took a pass on the 500 HO, primarily because of the smaller cc but I have to say,

IMHO!!,,, EPS, IRS and FI are pretty much standard requirements for serious trail riders, I mean why not? To me they're just the next technologically step following behind electric start, reverse, EBS, automatic CVT,,, continuous improvements for the guys like us that spend the money buying these fine machines!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an older Honda Civic w/o power steering. Other than turning into parking spots and such its not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you go on YOUTUBE and search dirtraxtv and look for a review on a 2012 sportsman 500 ho they give you a good evaluation. The 12's and 13's are the same machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there much noticeable difference in a sportsman 500 vs 500 HO?

Looking at 2002 models and just wondering is there much difference in power

Thanks
JT
I had a 99, 500 (non H O) and a 01, 500, H O at the same time. I bought them both new. The 01 was quicker at W O T than the 99. This was noticeable, but not a big deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a sportsman 500 I just rode it today after it sit for about 3 weeks during a few cold nights. it was running fine then went dead and made a knocking noise it did start back up but I know something isn't right. WHAT could it be I thought maybe it has thermostat and may be stuck but not sure if it even has one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts