Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just picked up a used 2004 polaris sportsman 500ho. It starts and runs great.Only issue is starter seems to stay engaged alittle too long and grinds.it has a brand new starter and relay. I check the bendex and it seems fine.It looks new,i just lubed it to make sure. I have seen other people complaining about this and some people say its normal. Is there any fix for this its driving me nuts. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the spring in bendix may be weak....or bendix is dirty..dont want to over lube them..it collects metal bits from engaging an grime..just a few drops of 3-1 oil is all you need....NO wd-40 or grease..gums up....also make sure the thrust washer is on the end...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I ordered a new bendex.im hoping the spring is just weak. It can't hurt it cost me 21 bucks on amazon lol.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Good..I hope it solves your problem....add a drop or 2 of 3-1 oil on it if its dry.....keep us informed how you made out...

·
11,263 Posts
Many of them do stay engaged for a second after starting but make sure the thrust washer is in place and check the bushing in the cover.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i have to replace the rope an handle on my recoil stater....I ordered parts..but since I will have it open I ordered new bushing an thrust washer....cheap insurance later on..I hope

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I didn't realize there was a buhing in the cover.is it metal or plastic.anyone have a part number.i better just replace it when I'm in there

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
its a metal bushing....can be a bitch to remove i was told...there is a video on youtube showing removal...I am going to see if advanced auto rents a bushing puller...its free actually..just leave a deposit....

the part for yours is 3083669 BUSHING, STARTER..its around 15.00....I figure if I am in there ..why not replace it...cant hurt...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok update. I installed the new bendex and replace the case bushing it was actually broken.It still grinds a little but it is definately better than before thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On the 800 there is two bushings and I would think the 500 is the same way. One in the cover and one in the block. On the 800 the one in the block wears a lot more than the one in the cover

1 - 14 of 14 Posts