No ,but don't be afraid of carbs they have worked well for years

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a carbed one for the wife GREAT machine pulls hard no major issues

·
Registered
105 Posts
I never liked the carbs because of starting them in the cold. Look on your local Craigslist for a quad with low hours/miles. Most of them will be EFI and HO but ask and look before you buy.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Just an FYI...the year spread you are looking at is post central Hilliard (a good thing), but also includes the old body style. New body style (integrated headlights) started in 2006. Not a big deal, but IMHO the 2006+ look a lot better.

A lot of craigslist posts don't specify EFI or carb...I try to look at the headlight pod pics and see if I can see a choke knob (sign of a carb).

Sean

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have not had any hard starts with my carbed Sport...even down to 0....just keep an Ethanol treatment in gas to prevent phase seperation....add some techtron or seafoam to keep clean..good to go.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I never liked the carbs because of starting them in the cold. Look on your local Craigslist for a quad with low hours/miles. Most of them will be EFI and HO but ask and look before you buy.
Ive never had a problem starting it, and last year we went on an ice fishing trip where the temp never got above 0. Sure, it take a little bit of time to warm up, but it has always started.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just an FYI...the year spread you are looking at is post central Hilliard (a good thing), but also includes the old body style. New body style (integrated headlights) started in 2006. Not a big deal, but IMHO the 2006+ look a lot better.

A lot of craigslist posts don't specify EFI or carb...I try to look at the headlight pod pics and see if I can see a choke knob (sign of a carb).

Sean
I believe the changes started in 2005. A 2005 thought 2010 should be the same.

·
Registered
434 Posts
X2^^^^

·
Registered
805 Posts
EFI runs cleaner and if you don't need to worry about doing tune ups every 5 seconds.
Actually from what Ive seen, EFI machines tend to run a bit richer than the carbed machines. Ive also noticed with the EFI you have to be careful not to run them too short of intervals or they will foul plugs like crazy. And I dont know where you got the frequent tune up myth but it is absolutely not true. Not trying to pick a fight but that is just bad info you got.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
05 500 ho 6000 miles all trouble free
yes they always start even out when it is really cold but yes its takes some time to warm them up, half choke for a long time but never failed me summer or winter

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
EFI runs cleaner and if you don't need to worry about doing tune ups every 5 seconds.
Actually from what Ive seen, EFI machines tend to run a bit richer than the carbed machines. Ive also noticed with the EFI you have to be careful not to run them too short of intervals or they will foul plugs like crazy. And I dont know where you got the frequent tune up myth but it is absolutely not true. Not trying to pick a fight but that is just bad info you got.
+1

I am one of the few people who personally prefer to have carb over EFI due the simplicity of the carb models.

All my atvs have been carbs and NEVER had issue. My oldest atv i still own is a 1986 and it starts up every time like it did from day one. I cleaned the carb once because I had never done it a summer or two ago. I will admit I meticulously maintain my stuff, but if an EFI system can last 27 years like a carb can I would be surprised. I never have understood the "luxury" of having EFI on a single cylinder ATV unless your riding where the altitude changes frequently. The whole cold, warm temperature starting thing carb vs efi simply is not true, its a marketing scheme by dealerships and the manufacturers. Subzero starts and operation from all my carb machines have never been an issue.

Im not trying to start a carb vs efi fight this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know that in today's world most all engines are electronic, but My concerns with going with the injected is the computer thing .If the computer fails there`s not a chance of getting it going again without a new computer.
With the carbureted there`s a chance if the battery goes dead that You can still pull the rope and get it to fire thus getting You back to civilization and repairs.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i agree with Fuse...I have a 87 suzuki LT 4x4 250 ....and it has never failed me....i put a new carb kit in 10 years ago..as a precaution....runs like a champ...A good fuel filter and air filter...keeps them clean inside...I use Uni filters for air on all my ATV's and trucks....I tried a K&N before..not even close to foam for clean air..A clean carb will never let you down...with EFI if it fails you dont pull it an clean it or do a kit on them....or pull start them..

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ Good to know about the air filters as I had always used OEM ones. Will fork out the cash for a UNI on each machine when the time comes to change out.

To the OP basically what we are saying is DONT be afraid of the carb models :beer:

Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am very grateful for all the awesome advice and opinions. I am closing in on a 2013 500 HO non-efi with only 10 hours on it, because I think I am getting a good buy on it.

Thanks All

1 - 20 of 39 Posts