Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tires soon will need to be replaced my question is can I put 26” tires For another inch of ground clearance is there any benefit?

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Yes you can go to 26".

·
8,886 Posts
Probably not unless you have or get aftermarket rims with more offset or put spacers on.
The problem is not the height of the tire. The problem is the width.
Your machine has a strut front suspension and 8" wide 25" tall OEM front tires.
All the 26" tall front tires I'm aware of are 9" wide. Depending on tire style and/or tire brand, 9" wide front tires will rub the tie rod ends and/or the strut unless you have rims with more offset or you add spacers.

·
8,886 Posts
OP, I guess I should have said they MIGHT fit but it'll be close for the reasons given above. If the width will allow it without rubbing you're good. A lot depends on the particular tire you get.
I've seen some guys move the tie rod ends UNDER the attachment arm for clearance. It works but I never really liked that solution. 4+3 offset rims is how I put the big Pitbulls on my 800. Of course, when you do that you'll then need fender flares to keep the mud off you too.
Funny how atv mods keep adding up.
One mod leads to another which leads to another and another.... lol. :grin

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Yup those are the ones!! You're going to do all four corners with the Ito Delta steels??

·
Registered
16 Posts
OP, I guess I should have said they MIGHT fit but it'll be close for the reasons given above. If the width will allow it without rubbing you're good. A lot depends on the particular tire you get.
I've seen some guys move the tie rod ends UNDER the attachment arm for clearance. It works but I never really liked that solution. 4+3 offset rims is how I put the big Pitbulls on my 800. Of course, when you do that you'll then need fender flares to keep the mud off you too.
Funny how atv mods keep adding up.
One mod leads to another which leads to another and another.... lol. :grin
------------------------------------------------

Yep my FJ has the same cause and effect.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Just so you know........ you only gain 1/2" of ground clearance, the other 1/2" is on top.

·
8,886 Posts
So a 9 inch tire on a front stock rim would not work at all? In this picture that I saw on this forum I believe there’s a 9 inch tires on the left as opposed to the stock on the right they do not look like they stick out much more yes?
Did you read the whole thread?
I said it was a maybe and it depends on the tires.
With 4+3 offset rims there's no question if they'll work.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
So a 9 inch tire on a front stock rim would not work at all? In this picture that I saw on this forum I believe there’s a 9 inch tires on the left as opposed to the stock on the right they do not look like they stick out much more yes?
Not true!!! There are 9" tires that fit stock rims and clear.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
With the hassle of the fronts, yeah it's easier to stay with the stock size. Remember that 26" vs 25" means another 1/2" all the way around the tire. So you are only adding an extra half inch of ground clearance. When you think about it another 1/2" of clearance isn't really going to change much. Is it worth the PIA?

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
You know you would think it doesn't but I'm convinced other wise. Whether it's just enough to clear rocks from dragging the under carriage or that little bit more so you can rip that mud hole or marsh. I get it it's not much but on the other hand typically stockers are under sized and aftermarket can run big. My stockers were 24.5" where as my 2.0's are 26.75. so just going up that inch in size, 25" to 26" yielded 2.25" gain. Definitely not typical though.

·
8,886 Posts
The advertised "size" on the side of the tire or in an add usually has very little to do with how tall the tire actually measures on the machine. Rim width, inflation, tire design, etc. all go in the mix.
My 2018 1k came with so called 26" PXT's on it that actually measured around 25.5" or less in the real world. The 27.5" Pitbulls I put on gave me almost 3" of extra ground clearance... BIG difference on the trail!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts