Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im pretty much at my wits end with my atv last fall i problems starting it, so i had the cdi box replaced with an aftermarket off the shelf one. once it was changed the bike started right away, but the key wouldnt shut it off so i had to choke it to kill it. now this spring the started will spin but wont turn the atv over... its gunna cost to much to just start changing parts if anyone has any advice i would be greatful

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
last thing you want to do is just start replacing parts. if the starting is just spinning, it prob needs a rebuild. your local polaris shop should be able to do. more then likely it only needs a new brush set, about $70. if you brought your starting into the shop, it would probably be around $150 depending on labor time and rate, if it it was the burshes that are worn(very common for something this age) you dont need a lot of know how to pull the starter, it just takes time, but will save you probably a good hour in labor if you pull the starter and put it back in. its hard to say without actually hearing it or looking at it, the only way to know what is wrong for sure is to pull it apart, but thats my guess. is this the first time you have had starter problems? thats not to bad if it is, it is at that age where parts that are supposed to wear are going to fail

·
Registered
11 Posts
starter prob

If your starter is turning it is probably your bendix.Your starter turns the bendix which then throws out and engages your flywheel.It is in behind pull starter and easy to remove,if any moisture got in it can sieze it up so it doesn't throw out properly.Some times u can remove free it up lube it and put back, i just replaced mine for 85 bucks. best of luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
starter

from clutch cover side just above cover on top of motor 2 bolts hold starter on once bolts are out starter will slide out, might need a little push from other side with wooden dowel and tap with hammer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts