Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our 500 in to get a boot put on the rear axle. We went out riding that week-end and the axle came completely out. Does any one know if this can happen on its own or if it is possible that they forgot to put the clip back in.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have never pulled the rear out put I think (and someone correct me if I am wrong) but I think it comes out the same as the front. It may just not have been set back in enough to grab the set ring. I could be wrong though. Hope it didn't destroy anything to bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When removing and replacing the axle on a 500 sportsman Polaris do you have to change that inner clip and if you don't could that cause the axle to pop out on its own.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I know they recommend it on the front. But I don't unless it looks bad. Its like a cotter pin, if its not bad, I will just reuse it. But that could have been your problem. A cheap fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is on the rear and yes that is what we are thinking a cheap fix. But the whole axle came out and we didn't know it and had to ride back to camp. Hoping it didn't screw up the insides of the teeth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Dan 500, I am experiencing the same problem with my rear axle falling out, can you tell me what you did to fix your axle issue? My dealer is stumped!

Thanks Craig

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Maybe the circle clip was not engaged all the way.....I might not be thinking this through, but how can the rear axle call out of the tranny when you have the hub and the upper a arms connected???

·
Registered
136 Posts
The problem ended up being a bad CV joint on mine . You need to replace the entire axle assembly. The bad CV joint allows enough travel to all ow the axle to slip out of the tranny and it simply falls out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We took our 500 in to get a boot put on the rear axle. We went out riding that week-end and the axle came completely out. Does any one know if this can happen on its own or if it is possible that they forgot to put the clip back in.
this is the second time I have heard of this happening,, the other guy needed a new axle,, check the cv joint, his was gone and causing the axle to pull out,,probably why the boot was bad,,

·
Registered
75 Posts
We took our 500 in to get a boot put on the rear axle. We went out riding that week-end and the axle came completely out. Does any one know if this can happen on its own or if it is possible that they forgot to put the clip back in.[/QUOTE

Probably need a new axle,,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Same thing happened to mine except i have gorilla axles.... Mine happened a few hours deep on a trail and the drive back to camp caused severe dmg to my 400$ axle.... In the process now of repairing everything.... Very unhappy about this right now :( If you find a fix let me know. thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a quick follow up... I tore both sides all the down, cleaned everything really good. I thought to myself, the left side has never had a problem so hmm, I'll swap them just for kicks. That was a couple hours and about 10 miles total ago and so far all is well. The original issue must be an axle issue. Guess its time to save for new ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts