Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a 2003 atv for sale for 2,000.00. Are they a pretty reliable machine?? Any advice for things to look for?? Is that a fair price for this low hour machine?? All imput will be greatly appreciated! Kelpie100

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
They are pretty reliable but like even the best of automotive machines (fill in your blank here) some probs come up. They are the cadillac of atvs, so aren't cheap to fix at dealers or OEM parts. Aren't too many super common problems (like say the 96-99 w/bad exhaust cam metalurgy), just random stuff and then there is the lack of maintenance type stuff that comes up. Also it it was severely mudded, or deep watered (above spark plug) that can ad issues. I avoid those machines myself. (check aircleaner for evidence). So 1) its starts, runs well? any odd noises, warm it up well. brakes, steers well? tire condition? 2) how many hours & miles? 3) you know its been Regularly maintained, especially engine oil/filter? check oil for yourself. Is it clean or nasty, watery, grey/black? 4) how does air cleaner look? 5) suspension even all the way around? $2k is a reasonable price but not a GREAT price, so look it over carefully, maybe he'll cut you a better deal to cinch the deal?? 6) just how good does it feel, especially cv joints and boots. 7) then there are the other major systems, cooling (check condition of coolant in overflow tank), tranny-shift smoothly? Others will add to this list but buyer beware, i buy used stuff also cuz i Don't want to afford new (pay cash) but you have to be smart, do your homework, take an experienced friend, leave you money/checkbook at home, sleep on it 3 nights then decide...Good Luck. :werd:

·
Registered
182 Posts
They are pretty reliable but like even the best of automotive machines (fill in your blank here) some probs come up. They are the cadillac of atvs, so aren't cheap to fix at dealers or OEM parts. Aren't too many super common problems (like say the 96-99 w/bad exhaust cam metalurgy), just random stuff and then there is the lack of maintenance type stuff that comes up. Also it it was severely mudded, or deep watered (above spark plug) that can ad issues. I avoid those machines myself. (check aircleaner for evidence). So 1) its starts, runs well? any odd noises, warm it up well. brakes, steers well? tire condition? 2) how many hours & miles? 3) you know its been Regularly maintained, especially engine oil/filter? check oil for yourself. Is it clean or nasty, watery, grey/black? 4) how does air cleaner look? 5) suspension even all the way around? $2k is a reasonable price but not a GREAT price, so look it over carefully, maybe he'll cut you a better deal to cinch the deal?? 6) just how good does it feel, especially cv joints and boots. 7) then there are the other major systems, cooling (check condition of coolant in overflow tank), tranny-shift smoothly? Others will add to this list but buyer beware, i buy used stuff also cuz i Don't want to afford new (pay cash) but you have to be smart, do your homework, take an experienced friend, leave you money/checkbook at home, sleep on it 3 nights then decide...Good Luck. :werd:
I'll second that on the bad cam. We had to have our 1999 Sportsman 335 cam replaced about 5 years ago..........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more information

The 2003 sportsman is owned by a 82 year old hunter, was used to get to a cabin up in the mountains. Never in deep water or mud, plastics are like new, fresh oil and filter one month ago at our local dealer - with full service. With less than 200 hours, wear and tires look normal?? Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Go for it low miles and price is right only problems I for see is CV boots ,easy to replace make sure all the a arm bolts are tight lock the brake and rock it back and forth hard and you will see if the bushings need replaced but that's easy too, that's about the only problems ive had out of the older machines. Good Luck and Post pics if you get her

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
All else being equal it does sound like a better deal now with that extra info. So yeah i'd pay it. if no oil leaks and cv's seem tight, i'd buy it for asking. Enjoy!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good deal you should not be disappointed with it if the maintenance has been done and not ridden rough

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It's hard to give an opinion sight unseen, but it sounds like it was taken care of. A mature rider...+. Low miles/hours... +. Good plastics... +. Look it over and ride it. If everything seems good I'd pull the trigger. The 500s are excellent machines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts