Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 550X2 and the fuel economy has recently gone to crap. I use to get +/- 100 miles per tank, and now I am getting about 60 miles per tank. It is like it happened over night. Nothing different about my riding style, I checked the spark plug and air filter. The bike runs perfect! Just sucks down more fuel for some reason. Only thing that I have noticed different is that it will turn over several more times before it starts rather than fire right up on the first turn of the switch. Could this be an injector going bad? Im a little confused. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BTW no codes, check engine lights, etc. Bike runs good.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Run some injector cleaner through it in a couple tanks. Have the fuel pressure checked and replace the fuel filter.
Will do. I did not think that the 550's had an exposed fuel filter. Is it in the tank or in line? I checked the line and could not find a fuel filter. That was the first thing I thought of when this came about.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think maybe it could have been a winter mix fuel blend that you got at your last fill up? That usually kills mileage.
I thought of that too, but have filled it up twice since then. With two kids atv's, (polaris 90cc and yama 125cc) I always keep my fuel fresh (non ethanol with marine stabil).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Run some injector cleaner through it in a couple tanks. Have the fuel pressure checked and replace the fuel filter.
Which brand do you recommend

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Gotcha, I'm at a lost, especially if the spark plug isn't showing any abnormal signs of increased carbon build up. You'd think with it sucking more fuel down, like a leaky injector, you'd notice it running different physically and bogging down or something.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
As for cleaners, I know a lot of people that swear by Seafoam, but I use StarTron in all of my equipment. Especially when I deploy I make sure they all get a strong dosage. My NGKs are still white after about 75 miles on them, with just the slightest hint of tan to them, no carbon to be seen anywhere on the electrode yet, but still too soon to tell for sure IMO. Overall, I like the stuff, have had no ill effects, and in theory keeps Ethanol/water suspended in the gas to burn instead of settling to the bottom of the tank and creating a sludge.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Star Tron Story

·
Registered
575 Posts
Fuel filter is more of a screen than a filter, if it still runs good it's probably not the screen. I would run a few tanks of gas through it with seafoam or your prefered injector cleaner, then see what it does, better than throwing parts at it.

Fuel filter/screen is in the tank

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Agreed on the seafoam or I use Lucas on a lot of stuff too with great results. It's less expensive and I've had great results in things with it over the years. Fuel injections systems are subject to all the cub buildup as a carb, but it's just not usually something anyone thinks about. Regular doses of an injector cleaner are a good plan on these newer machines.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Fuel Filters
The Sportsman 550 uses a serviceable high-volume, high- pressure fuel pump that includes a preliminary filter and an internal fine filter located before the pump regulator. If the fuel pump filters require service, the fuel pump must be replaced as an assembly.
From the service manual.....

Seafoam is great for gently removing carbon deposits and varnish from injectors

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
try a more agressive cleaner ....BerrtChem B12 or Techron..they are strong cleaners...I run either once a month in a full tank of gas...I use 1 oz per gallon...I like and use seafoam..but its a gentle type cleaner when added to gas...it works best when added to a vacuum line on a vehicle and left to sit a bit to lossen carbon on engine components and injectors

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the replies fellows. Gonna run some techron through it. I have always used it in my trucks with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've actually never paid much attention to MPT (Miles Per Tank) on my machine..... Just put gas in when needed. lol

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've actually never paid much attention to MPT (Miles Per Tank) on my machine..... Just put gas in when needed. lol

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
When you ride in areas that gasoline isn't always readily available, it's something you pay attention to lol

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do you think maybe it could have been a winter mix fuel blend that you got at your last fill up? That usually kills mileage.
I thought of that too, but have filled it up twice since then. With two kids atv's, (polaris 90cc and yama 125cc) I always keep my fuel fresh (non ethanol with marine stabil).
X2 on the marine sta-bil... I use it in everything but my truck, and don't use it in that only because I go through over a tank a week!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Marine stab il is a good product....it stabilizes..cleans fuel system...and prevents corrosion ...Marine Stabil has a military spec number..used by military...good for them good for me...I keep 20 gallons of gas for generator over the winter....and then its used for lawn and tractor fuel after winter...its always fresh and never cloudy from sitting....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Marine stab il is a good product....it stabilizes..cleans fuel system...and prevents corrosion ...Marine Stabil has a military spec number..used by military...good for them good for me...I keep 20 gallons of gas for generator over the winter....and then its used for lawn and tractor fuel after winter...its always fresh and never cloudy from sitting....
Remember they go with lowest bidders ;)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Remember they go with lowest bidders ;)
Doesn't always go like that now days.........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts