Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I might have a chance to get a very lightly used 2011 550 Xp eps for about 5k canadian. Not even past the the recommend break-in period (appox 300km) and comes with accessories like winch and rear box w/seat.

Anyways been looking for a quad for my wife who is familiar with quadding and likes to get out but not all the time. We have a Ranger 570 but with a growing family, it'll be essential to have another machine, plus she likes the atv over the SXS. I would also want to use it occasionally too when I don't need the ranger, like hunting or going solo. EPS is essential (I didn't used to think so but I was naive). EPS should be standard on all atvs lol

So is this particular machine a good lady's machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
721 Posts
I clicked into this thread thinking you were looking at a trade LOL :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol nah I would only be able to get a used 400 HO at most for her on straight trade haha

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
got a 14 550xp, I'd say it'd be a great started quad for a child it's so gutless and slow...but in a more real answer, yeah, it's perfect for a woman. I made a bad choice and cant get shit for trade in on it (under 100miles on it I think, maybe 125miles cant remember it's been so long since I rode the gutless turd.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got a 14 550xp, I'd say it'd be a great started quad for a child it's so gutless and slow...but in a more real answer, yeah, it's perfect for a woman. I made a bad choice and cant get shit for trade in on it (under 100miles on it I think, maybe 125miles cant remember it's been so long since I rode the gutless turd.)

I appreciate the input but I find "gutless" hard to believe. I suspect there is more to your story than what you've provided.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
My 500 still puts a smile on my face when I mash the go lever (and I own an 850ho). The 550 should have plenty of zip.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts

I appreciate the input but I find "gutless" hard to believe. I suspect there is more to your story than what you've provided.

Really wish there was...but its gutless and slow. Friends early artic cat 400 stock stays not too far behind in a race.....heaviest chasis in the atv world plus small lethargic engine equals gutless.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ This guy is probably like 500 lbs, and thinks the 550 is a scrambler 1000.

The 550 is MORE than enough for 90% of what most people will need.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts

It gets the job done in a utilitarian form, but it's gutless...that is why I said it would be a great quad for a woman, women typically don't like power nor go fast/need power.

Im hardly 500lbs either, 200lbs, 210 at worst

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can pop a wheelie but it's gutless? I think our definitions of power are much different.

Ya I have a ranger 570 with only 2 HP more than a 550 and weighs 300lbs more and it's not gutless, so I don't believe these polaris bashers.

Besides I'm not looking for a monster machine. We typically drive 10-20km/h. I'm not looking to race.

I have seen all the YouTube videos of the 550 at work and its power is not a concern of mine.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
It can pop a wheelie but it's gutless? I think our definitions of power are much different.

Ya I have a ranger 570 with only 2 HP more than a 550 and weighs 300lbs more and it's not gutless, so I don't believe these polaris bashers.

Besides I'm not looking for a monster machine. We typically drive 10-20km/h. I'm not looking to race.

I have seen all the YouTube videos of the 550 at work and its power is not a concern of mine.

With some clutch work it can pop a wheelie, whoo hoo LOL. Pull itself thru thick mud when it don't have enough nutz to really spin the tires to clean them out= FAIL. Having a old farm artic cat from 2003 that is 150cc smaller stay on your tail in a straight line= FAIL

Like I said, in utilitarian form, it works. Was clearing some trees in the local tiber and it pulled some pretty hefty loads out of the way, but since day one there has yet to be any sort of smile factor on this thing as far as stabbing the throttle and getting any sense of power what so ever. Esspecially riding in groups and your one of the slower quads. Really wish I coulda test rode some and it would've obviously changed my mind, and FWIW, my old 2000 sportsman seemed quicker/torqier than this one.

Currently upfitting this one to just be a worker quad that I can hit the trails with my buddies on and hope we never find a fire road since I'll be the guy choking on dust. Tried offing it a few months ago when it was only a few months old and dealer said ride it for a few years because I'll give you the same money then, as I would only be able to today, basically a $3K hit within a few months, nice huh. Which is about right since craigslist around the 125mi radius have these xp's from 2010-2012 model yrs for $4000-4550 range with less than 1000 miles on them. Seen a 2013 XP850 last night for about that same price range.

Wet weight, heaviest machine in their class hands down/no argument. engine that isn't making much more hp than they did 12-14yrs ago in the same cc range...ends up being a bad hp/weight ratio, and it really shows when drag racing friends. But like I said, it'd be a good woman quad, and yeah, I'm just bitter I couldn't test ride and wound up with the equivilant of a 1980's era smogged out sports car...got the look but none of the go LOL.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Had one since 09 and they are far from gutless. Had a few gremlims but they have more than enough power. Don't know where you are coming from with gutless but that is far from the truth. I weigh about 280 and I have taken it everywhere to ride from Colorado to Hatfield McCoy and up to 13000 feet and it goes everywhere I pointed it. It is a good machine for all.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
IIRC IHI rolled his the first time out, who knows whats not ever right on that machine anymore if thats the case. Seems like you havent liked it since you bought it, no Polaris's fault you want Big Bore power from the low priced mid range machine.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

It gets the job done in a utilitarian form, but it's gutless...that is why I said it would be a great quad for a woman, women typically don't like power nor go fast/need power.

Im hardly 500lbs either, 200lbs, 210 at worst
What type of women do you hang out with? I know a few that can outride guys, and love big bore atv's. They are easy on the eyes too.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

Take a look at IHI's posts,.........no one in their right mind can take anything he says seriously. Hell, he turtled his 550 his first time out.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
What type of women do you hang out with? I know a few that can outride guys, and love big bore atv's. They are easy on the eyes too.
Only women i hang out with is a badass lil 13yr old whos killer in sports and loves riding her atv and a fat ugly one i married 15yrs ago. :)

LSrally, turtling it didnt effect anything powerwise, guy at work's parents were riding their 2 up sportsman down at the big atv park....more polaris engineering to band aid for folks who cant ride with the ebs caused them to rollover and his mom ended up with a fractured pelvis.
Going down a steep rocky road and instead of giving it enough gas to keep ebs disenguaged the old man tried coasting down and using the brakes like normal folks would do, ebs locked up rear tires, it came around on them quicker than the old boy could react and rolled.

These band aids should be able to be turned off, seems they cause side effect priblems from fhe help they are trying to provide. just like when mine was new, even today it still dont freewheel backwards like one thinks of freewheeling backwards, there is a definate resistance in the clutching system...both pre and post turtle. Dealer had it apart and said everything is good. Clutch guy had a look and said thats just the way it is....i dont like it a bit, i want 100% freewheel, friction free when having to roll backwards down a steep hill.

But thats another story in an epicly long thread. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I went and test drove the 550 and it's got way more than enough power. Better than my work 700 Grizzlies and sportsman. It snapped my head back. What a beauty unit. I'm going to be going with this machine and see if I can get a few more $$ off the price. If I can't talk the seller down more than I will just keep looking. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts

Take a look at IHI's posts,.........no one in their right mind can take anything he says seriously. Hell, he turtled his 550 his first time out.
Lol...coming from a guy that wont ride anything but his driveway because you dont want to get it dirty because dirt and dust tear these things up and thinks driving onto a trailer is a really impressive and scarey endevour. You and your band of nutswingers r the ones that rarely have anything worth reading in this forum other than snide comments, you could all go away and nobody would miss you, at least ive contributed quite a bit here since the time i joined.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Lol...coming from a guy that wont ride anything but his driveway because you dont want to get it dirty because dirt and dust tear these things up and thinks driving onto a trailer is a really impressive and scarey endevour. You and your band of nutswingers r the ones that rarely have anything worth reading in this forum other than snide comments, you could all go away and nobody would miss you, at least ive contributed quite a bit here since the time i joined.

There is a difference between quantity and quality. Based on what you've submitted, I give your opinion very little credibility.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
There is a difference between quantity and quality. Based on what you've submitted, I give your opinion very little credibility.

You will "fit in well here" then, nobody wants to hear anything but how awesome Polaris is no matter what, fact of the matter they have a lot of places to improve..just like most manufacturers, difference is other forums don't have as many brain washed members that have a the mentality a lot of fools on here have "Polaris or die"

1 - 20 of 41 Posts