Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2012 550 sportsman eps and I want to buy Maxxis Zillas. Does anyone know what the max size tire that will fit on this machine without any modifications? I would like to go with 28" or at the very least 27". Currently it has 26x8-14 on the front & 26x10-14 in the rear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is not a touring model. Do I need to worry about width, both the 27's & 28's seem to be 1 to 2 inches wider? Also I plan on putting them on the stock rims do you know of any issues with that?

·
Registered
679 Posts
You should be fine with the width. Plan in buying a clutch kit, you will feel loss of power to the ground. Talk to Ridinagain, he is a QSC dealer.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Your good, I have 27/9/14 on the fronts and 27/11/14 on the rear mounted on stock steel wheels.
My buddy has the same tires on his 850 except there 28's...Lots of room, I have read guys putting up to 30's on XP'S without a lift with minimal rubbing..
I don't need a clutch kit, bike runs fine..I lost a little off the max kph, but that is of no concern to me since 98% of my usage is under 20kph in low gear.

·
Registered
434 Posts
zillas barely rob any power at all i have 27's and not much of a difference over stock ive never burnt a belt except when i cracked my clutch from water getting into the clutch housing, 8000k and im on my second belt

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You can fit 30's with no lift. You will want to upgrade the clutch. Yes, you can get away with using the stock clutching, but you will decrease your belt life and have a loss of power. Proper clutching is the best thing you can do to your machine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I put 27in rip saws on my 850 touring. In retrospect I would have went with 26 in. You will loose a lot of power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts