Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my last big ride my sportsman had sat up a while and a couple of weeks ago I broke it out and did a little riding. I noticed that it would smoke a little until it got heated up. Then even once heated it would smoke when sitting idle. Never rode much more than an hour or 2 here and there.

Just last Friday I changed the oil in my 2011 model sportsman 550 XP. On Sunday I rode it hard for about 15 miles and it smoke when I would stop. As I got closer to home I could hear what sounded like the valves knocking (common for 550's). Upon arriving home I shut it off and let it cool for about 2 hours. I then checked the oil and there was no oil touching the stick. I crawled underneath to make sure that the oil filter and plug showed no sign of leaking & they did not.

I drained the oil and it was black and smelled like straight fuel and was very very thin. (again 2 day old oil and 15 miles)

Any ideas what could be causing this? It is still under warranty and I am hoping its just stuck injector or something.

·
8,953 Posts
It could very well be a leaky/bad injector but if it uses that much oil in 15 miles it may have already damaged rings and cylinder to the point of needing rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'd take it in if under warranty. Make sure you have all of your receipts handy if they play hard ball on oil changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts