Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am thinking of upgrading both the wife and my quads. I currently run a 2007 grizzly Special Edition w/power steering and she runs a 2008 400 ho sportsman. I bought both quads used and both were ridden hard before i got them. Have had my grizzly several years and the sportsman for 2 years.
We are both in need of quads with power steering due to each of us having medical conditions. I am 240 lbs and under 6ft if that matters.
The sportsman we have seems to be very maintenance intensive compared to the grizzly. Especially the a arm bushings,bearings and tie rods. Even the oil screen is an added step for oil changes. Are the new 550's any different in this reguard? I also don't like the battery location on my 08 sportsman-any difference on 550's?
I do like the 4x4 system on the Polaris (especially for the wife) as you don't have to guess if you need to stop and lock it in before that mud puddle. The grizzly one seems bulletproof but like the hassle free polaris system.
I am not very concerned about power other than hauling a moose back to base camp. Mostly trail riding and over fallen trees with the odd very intense mud puddle etc
Would like to purchase 2 machines of the same model/make to make maintenance easier.
Listed are my requirements in order of priority. Is the 550 sportsman the quad for me or should I look at another? I am hesitant about Polaris due to the few issues I've had with mine (starter etc) and the stories i hear. Figured this would be the place to ask.

1) reliability (am often hunting in remote areas)
2) Price
3) Good 4x4 system
4) Low Maintenance
5) Low Maintenance :)

Any input is much appreciated

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Proper maintenance is the #1 key to a long life off an ATV. Honestly think you'd be happier with a 570 over the 550. the 570 has been a reliable power plant. The EPS model is cheaper than the 550, and you've also got the reliability of the Value line to go off of. The XP line has some minor issues but they can be dealt with. The 570 is new to ATV's but has been in the Rzr for a couple years now and they have performed very well in that application with little to no issues. Really you need to try them both out. see what fits you best. as the ergonomics are completely different. The ride will be different as well. The XP's are touted as riding down the trail on a couch.

But again, any machine is going to require maintenance. and the more advanced the machine, the more maintenance you're going to have to perform.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If I were you, I'd buy a couple new grizzlies. Your assessments about maintenance on a Polaris vs. a Grizzly are spot on and that seems to top your priority list. I'm not saying grizzlies don't have problems, just that they require a little less "love" to keep going. Polaris power, ride, stability, EPS and AWD all beat Yamaha, but it doesn't sound like you are doing high performance riding the necessitates these advantages.

If you do end up going with Polaris, I'd go with the 570. The 550 is more maintenance, noisy, and offers no advantages for your application when compared to the 570.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? She should sit on both. My wife has always hated the wide stance of the seat on my 700 which would be similar to the 570. This may be a determining factor in which one she may like. IMO you will likely find a smoother ride with the 550 over the 570. My 700's suspension is similar to the 570 and IMO it is noticeably smoother on my 550. A lot of guys hate the ADC (On 550 but not 570) but I like the feature and it is a great safety feature I feel good about when my wife and I are riding in steep terrain.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I would keep the machines you already have it reliability is important.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Not debating what is better but battery on 550 is up under the front headlight pod. You get to it by removing the front rack. It only gets dusty. I believe it is down low on the 570.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I along with several friends all have 550s, 2010 being the oldest. All have been extremely reliable including the engines. Keep it clean, change or have the fluids changed as recommended and grease it a few times a year, it will treat you well. Personally I think the 570 rides like a truck compared to my 550. Please don't get me wrong the 570 is a fine machine, however there is no way I would give up my 550 for a 570.

Don't be mislead by those who will post their opinion based on what they have heard of these two machines and never having owned or ridden either one of them.

As suggested ride them both, and if possible not around the parking lot. A paved or smooth lot does not give you a real world environment to determine how each machine rides and how the suspicion performs.

·
Premium Member
12,026 Posts
the 550 is going to have the best ride with its narrower seat, higher ground clearance, greater suspension travel and double a-arm front suspension. the 570 is going to be the more reliable machine, for the simple fact that the technology is older and it has less front end components. they both are available with eps. the edc is a bonus for hill decents for ur wife like treacherous said. the Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis have a rep for reliability but the also lack in technology and capabilities. it just stands to reason that Polaris has a higher rate of repairs due to the fact that there are a hell of a lot more of them out there and a lot of them have big powerful motors that tear $hit up. so if its reliability u are looking for u should choose the 570 w/eps in the Polaris brand or chk out handa, yahmaha, or Suzuki. if u can test ride them all and at the minimum sit on them all. just remember Polaris has the best 4x4 system, best eps, and is the smoothest riding. at the end of a day of riding both u and the wife will be a lot less warn out if u were sitting on a Polaris. good luck and let us know what route u take.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. It has given me a few things to think about.
The better ride of the 550 would be alot better on the back going over fallen trees for sure.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If you compare the two machines on paper here are the differences.

+1" tire diameter
+2" Wheel diameter
Aluminum wheels
+ 2.5" wheel base
+.5" Ground clearance
+.8" Wheel travel Front
+.75" wheel travel rear
+3.25" seat height
+ 30 lbs front rack/+60 lbs rear rack
- 90 lbs payload (not sure how that works, but those are the numbers from the website 550 = 575 payload/570 = "485 W/ 180 lbs rider")
+275 lbs hitch Tow rating
+31 lbs dry weight
- 6.5 gallons of built in storage
-2 hp
+$1000 minimum. (camo 570 - base EPS 550)

So for me the items on that list that really mater

Ground clearance
Wheel travel
Payload
Fuel capacity (the website has a typo on it and lists the 570's CC's where the fuel capacity should be so I can't say per the website the differences but I think it's like 3/4 of a gallon to one of the other, not sure which)
Horse power
Cost

between the two, on paper, I can't say the minimal gains in Ground clearance, wheel travel, and rack capacity are worth $1000 more. But again, it's really going to depend on how the ergonomics feel to you on each bike. and Remember, you're planning on getting two so the cost is double as well. $2000+ is a lot of accessories for your new rides.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Proper maintenance is the #1 key to a long life off an ATV. Honestly think you'd be happier with a 570 over the 550. the 570 has been a reliable power plant. The EPS model is cheaper than the 550, and you've also got the reliability of the Value line to go off of. The XP line has some minor issues but they can be dealt with. The 570 is new to ATV's but has been in the Rzr for a couple years now and they have performed very well in that application with little to no issues. Really you need to try them both out. see what fits you best. as the ergonomics are completely different. The ride will be different as well. The XP's are touted as riding down the trail on a couch.

But again, any machine is going to require maintenance. and the more advanced the machine, the more maintenance you're going to have to perform.
:stupid: I'd have to agree with Thor's statement and couldn't phrase it any better.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think the 550 is way better than the 570. The only thing the 570 has on the 550 is 2hp. But you get more ground clearance and a better ride on the 550.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm sorry, but 1/2" can be gained by putting 26" tires on the 570. then they've got the same ground clearance and the same tire diameter. and if you ask some people the 12" wheels are better than the 14" wheels because you have less issues with pinched side walls or busted beads. The 570 can go up to 14" wheels if thats the style you want. The 550 can't go down to 12" wheels. The built in storage is huge for me too. The fact that you don't have to pay more just to be able to bring the basic items that you need on the trail is worth more than the cost of the front rack box if you ask me.

but again. it's really comes down to Ergonomics. The 570 has better Ergo's than the 500 did. but they are still different than the 550's ergonomics so it's worth sitting on or preferably riding both to see which one you like more. some people myself included like the crisp ride of the value line. but again that's all personal opinion stuff that you need to decide for yourself.

We still don't know if the 550 will even be around much longer with the intro of the 570. They may up the 550 to a 650 and then add a 1000 Sportsman to the XP line up to offset the XP's from the Value line a little more.

·
Registered
416 Posts
you may want to look at the 570 eps for you and the ACE for your girlfriend. I am thinking about changing quad. I had the 550 eps in mind after riding it but since the 570 eps and ACE came out with a killer price. price Wise they are hard to beat and maintenance Wise the 550 have almost everything tucked away.

How different is the ride between the 550 and 570? Some of you make it sound like it is night and day.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
you may want to look at the 570 eps for you and the ACE for your girlfriend. I am thinking about changing quad. I had the 550 eps in mind after riding it but since the 570 eps and ACE came out with a killer price. price Wise they are hard to beat and maintenance Wise the 550 have almost everything tucked away.

How different is the ride between the 550 and 570? Some of you make it sound like it is night and day.

You really need to ride both and make your decision since you will get opinions all over the place. I have a 700 as well that basically has the same suspension as a 570 and IMO the 550 definitely dampens the rough patches and corners better too. The only maintenance item I think is likely more challenging is changing the belt. Everything else seems about the same or easier than my 700.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We were in the same boat about a month ago comparing the 550 and 570. We liked both and hard a time deciding between the two. The 570 feels more torquey out of the two. It puts the power down and the front end will come up on you when you really hit the gas. I took it to a dirt track the other week and had an absolute blast. The 550 is on a different platform. The suspension on this rig really shines and absorbs a lot more that the 570 does. You did mention that you had medical problems and I will tell you that I like the suspension on the 550 quite a bit more than the 570. The 550 is no slouch though when it comes to power but it is delivered smoother than the 570. In the end we bought both lol. Good luck on your purchase...

1) reliability - Ours are 2014's so can't comment on that
2) Price - About 1K between the 570 EPS and 550 EPS
3) Good 4x4 system - Awesome AWD System, kicks in very easily
4) Low Maintenance - I agree with everyone else in keeping up on the maint and you will be fine.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I test drove a 570 at the Tug Hill ATV expo last fall, even with EPS, the steering was quite a bit heavier than my 550, and had more kickback on rocks and logs than my X2. Power felt about the same, if anything my 550 seemed to have a little more low end grunt. As far as the ride,the 570 isn't even in the same ballpark as the XP. The 570 seat still feels to wide to me, I like the really narrow seat on my X2. The 570 didn't have ADC, which took some getting used to, but I have grown to like. The battery is down in the frame on the 570, but it's a sealed battery and I don't really see that being an issue.

Test drive both, buy the ones you like lol.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

This is an uneducated guess.
Dude you dont own either one of these machines.

·
Registered
416 Posts

You really need to ride both and make your decision since you will get opinions all over the place. I have a 700 as well that basically has the same suspension as a 570 and IMO the 550 definitely dampens the rough patches and corners better too. The only maintenance item I think is likely more challenging is changing the belt. Everything else seems about the same or easier than my 700.
I will give it an extra look

1 - 20 of 42 Posts