Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up two sportsmens' and can't decide on the 550 or 570 platforms. How does the ride quality compare between the two? I thought I've read the 550 is better, if that's true, then by how much? They will mostly be used for western hunting.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,085 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly
Many thanks! If its only like a 2% difference in ride quality that does not mean much to me. However, I am always curious as to first hand experience.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am looking to pick up two sportsmens' and can't decide on the 550 or 570 platforms. How does the ride quality compare between the two? I thought I've read the 550 is better, if that's true, then by how much? They will mostly be used for western hunting.
You found a good used 550?
After owning a Sportsman 400HO, I sold it and bought a Honda Rancher. I prefer the inverted engine lay out of the Honda, which the Polaris 550/850/1000 uses. Wider floor boards, narrower engine between legs gives far more riding comfort over the Spirtsman 400. The 570 does not have the inverted engine layout, narrower floor boards, wider engine u der you.

Go 550/850/1000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You found a good used 550?
After owning a Sportsman 400HO, I sold it and bought a Honda Rancher. I prefer the inverted engine lay out of the Honda, which the Polaris 550/850/1000 uses. Wider floor boards, narrower engine between legs gives far more riding comfort over the Spirtsman 400. The 570 does not have the inverted engine layout, narrower floor boards, wider engine u der you.

Go 550/850/1000.
From what I've read the Sportsman is the most comfortable ATV out there so thats why I am interested in getting one. I previously owned a 400ex and 200sx both were great quads (just sold 2x KFX700's) which were also great. I need 4x4 for hunting with my dad. One will be a touring model and one regular.

·
Registered
121 Posts
From what I've read the Sportsman is the most comfortable ATV out there so thats why I am interested in getting one. I previously owned a 400ex and 200sx both were great quads (just sold 2x KFX700's) which were also great. I need 4x4 for hunting with my dad. One will be a touring model and one regular.
Are you buying new? The 550 has not been made in years, I would look at two Sportsman 850's, not much more money for more power and better front suspension. The base 570 comes with front struts, rides and handles/steers like crap, upper/lower a arms are far better.

Go 850.

Reactions: 180ls1

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
296 Posts
I traded a 2013 XP550 in two months ago. The XP550 has independent front suspension. Also has the transverse motor so the seat is narrower with wide foot wells. Great machine comfort wise. Great machine to ride standing. Noisy motor and I had trouble keeping the valves adjusted on mine. Was a known problem with some of the 550's. If I was you I would buy the premium 570 with independent front A arm suspension or go to an 850. The 850 is smooth and rides nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I traded a 2013 XP550 in two months ago. The XP550 has independent front suspension. Also has the transverse motor so the seat is narrower with wide foot wells. Great machine comfort wise. Great machine to ride standing. Noisy motor and I had trouble keeping the valves adjusted on mine. Was a known problem with some of the 550's. If I was you I would buy the premium 570 with independent suspension or go to an 850. The 850 is smooth and rides nice.
I thought all of the 570s had independent suspension? Or are you referring to something else?

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
296 Posts
I thought all of the 570s had independent suspension? Or are you referring to something else?
I worded that incorrectly. Some have Mcpherson strut front suspension and the higher end ones have dual A Arm front suspension. That is what I was referring to. The XP550 had dual A arm front suspension.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some have Mcpherson strut front suspension and the higher end ones have dual A Arm front suspension.
Got it. Thanks! So keep an eye out for a 570 premium with arms and a 550 or 850. Any others I should be looking out for?

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
296 Posts
Got it. Thanks! So keep an eye out for a 570 premium with arms and a 550 or 850. Any others I should be looking out for?
That would be my choice. The Mcpherson is a good handling front end but I like the dual A Arm set up better for trail riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be my choice. The Mcpherson is a good handling front end but I like the dual A Arm set up better for trail riding.
How much better if you don't mind me asking? The majority of the time we will be growing slow, driving to a hunting spot or covering miles glassing hills before we hike in.

·
Premium Member
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
927 Posts
I have a 2019 570 and 2020 850. The 850 is a Cadillac compared to the 570 but the 570 rides really nice, if your not comparing it to the 850. The 850 is a louder machine compared to the 570. The 850 shines in higher rpm but the 570 has perfect low end torque. The struts on my 570 work fine and have never felt like it was lacking and we ride alot of rough off camber trails. Now the shock bushings on my 850 were shot in less than 6 months. The 850 is a heavier machine and with about half as many miles as the 570, already needed brake pads while the 570 has plenty of meat left. I can’t really recommend one over the other because they both have their high points but I will recommend getting power steering and engine braking (EBS).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 2019 570 and 2020 850. The 850 is a Cadillac compared to the 570 but the 570 rides really nice, if your not comparing it to the 850. The 850 is a louder machine compared to the 570. The 850 shines in higher rpm but the 570 has perfect low end torque. The struts on my 570 work fine and have never felt like it was lacking and we ride alot of rough off camber trails. Now the shock bushings on my 850 were shot in less than 6 months. The 850 is a heavier machine and with about half as many miles as the 570, already needed brake pads while the 570 has plenty of meat left. I can’t really recommend one over the other because they both have their high points but I will recommend getting power steering and engine braking (EBS).
Got it. So for low-speed hunting use on trails in the southwest (my dad is 70) there wont be much of a difference? However, the harder I push it the more the 850/550 platform will shine?

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
296 Posts
For what it is worth in the Dirt Trax reviews for the applicable Polaris machines they think the Mcperson strut suspension was the best handling out there as of 2009. It is old tech but works really well. Just a matter of personal preference for how you ride and what you ride.

·
Premium Member
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
927 Posts
Got it. So for low-speed hunting use on trails in the southwest (my dad is 70) there wont be much of a difference? However, the harder I push it the more the 850/550 platform will shine?
If you’re planning on getting one for you and one for your dad, the 570 should be absolutely plenty for either of you, unless he is an old hot rodder and still has high octane running though his veins. If that’s not the case, get him a 570 and you an 850 or two 570’s would please both of you.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,085 Posts
Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

The real shortage in this country is common sense.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts