Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on a 2019 850.

Haven't had it on a trail yet but I can tell I wont regret spending the extra $$$. Also seems like it will be a wildly comfortable machine. Thanks all for the push in the right direction!
Congratulations!

Reactions: WillB and 180ls1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Congratulations!
Thank you! The factory tires seem pretty weak and a little worn. Would 1" taller and 1" wider all around be the way to go? I dont want to deal with clutching or other mods. Just something that is a mild improvement.

It'll mostly be used on dry trails a sportsman 90 could get down, however, there will be creek crossings and muddy roads/trails (if it rains on a hunt, I won't go looking for mud). Nothing wild.

·
Premium Member
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
927 Posts
It will handle 28’s just fine in stock form

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Thank you! The factory tires seem pretty weak and a little worn. Would 1" taller and 1" wider all around be the way to go? I dont want to deal with clutching or other mods. Just something that is a mild improvement.

It'll mostly be used on dry trails a sportsman 90 could get down, however, there will be creek crossings and muddy roads/trails (if it rains on a hunt, I won't go looking for mud). Nothing wild.
A lot of folks really like the big horn 2.0 for trail riding not focused on mud . But there are many many good options out there .

Reactions: 180ls1

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I heard big horns run small but that will need to be verified but someone who has owned a set . I would stay as close to stock size as possible . Unless you really need the added height or capability.

a lot of different options here on tire size , and all for valid reasons .

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I actually ride with 98whitelightnin and his 28” tires help him out . Especially that he has offset wheels to help push the tires out some . This is great for some of the crazy rutted trails he can go on .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I actually ride with 98whitelightnin and his 28” tires help him out . Especially that he has offset wheels to help push the tires out some . This is great for some of the crazy rutted trails he can go on .
Got it. Fortunatley/unfortunatley they have 50" width restrictions in some of the areas I hunt so I can't push it too much if even at all.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Check out this recent thread . A member just put 27” big horns on .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Suspension setting doesn’t matter with 28’s. I did go with a 5+2 offset wheel as opposed to the stock 6+1. I’m right at 50” front and I think 52” rear.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Suspension setting doesn’t matter with 28’s. I did go with a 5+2 offset wheel as opposed to the stock 6+1. I’m right at 50” front and I think 52” rear.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,773 Posts
Ok, even at the lowest/softest suspension setting?

That tire looks about perfect.

What are your thoughts on the 27 vs 28" size?
No issues fitting 28’s on stock rims but it is a grey zone in needing a clutch kit depending on the weight of the tires and how you want your machine to perform. 27’s are about as big as you want to go with zero mods or issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, made a deal on a 1000XP Touring which I pick up Saturday. I assume the tire advice is the same? Since its more powerful but also heavier and possibly carrying more weight with two riders?

I want to keep it the same on the two bikes for simplicity unless you all think otherwise? I am leaning 27" at the moment that way I dont have any nagging thoughts about wear/power issues.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
26” might be the biggest you can go on a touring model since the front of the rear fender is even closer to the tire than the single seat machines. Other guys will know better.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,773 Posts
Well, made a deal on a 1000XP Touring which I pick up Saturday. I assume the tire advice is the same? Since its more powerful but also heavier and possibly carrying more weight with two riders?

I want to keep it the same on the two bikes for simplicity unless you all think otherwise? I am leaning 27" at the moment that way I dont have any nagging thoughts about wear/power issues.
26’s are the biggest you can go with a touring model without some fender trimming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Interesting. I've been reading and I can see the issue now. Looks like if I trim I can go 1" wider and possibly 1" taller. Not sure I want to risk poor fitment though. I'll keep researching. It will have a lot of weight on hunts with gear and two guys on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Based on what I've read I am thinking the bighorn 2.0 26x9"/26x11" size for both bikes (850 and 1000 touring). Since it runs large (according to some) its about as big as I can get on the Touring but wont have fitment issues or really any other issues. I can always trim the passenger metal piece. I can also have just 1 spare that fits everything.

Anyone like this plan or am I really giving up capibility by not stepping up to 27" tires?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Based on what I've read I am thinking the bighorn 2.0 26x9"/26x11" size for both bikes (850 and 1000 touring). Since it runs large (according to some) its about as big as I can get on the Touring but wont have fitment issues or really any other issues. I can always trim the passenger metal piece. I can also have just 1 spare that fits everything.

Anyone like this plan or am I really giving up capibility by not stepping up to 27" tires?
The BH 2.0 earned the nickname of 'Flat Horn' due to the paper thin sidewalls.

Look at the Radial Reptiles.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts