Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about a dealer upgrade or recall with the computer reflash on the 550 XP?I was just reading something about it and it says it is suppose to smooth out the idle and someone said it raises the idle close 1000rpm.Thats out,they idle fast enough IMO.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No I haven't heard anything about it. Was it just for the 550, because mine could stand to idle a little smoother also. But you're right I think they idle fast enough already.

I would also think that would mess up when the belt and drive clutches engage, because they engage at a certain RPM. I personally was hoping to lower that number so I could start off at a slower rate instead of that jump you always get.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did see something about the 850 also but I couldnt make heads or tails out of what the guy was trying to say.It was past bed time so I was kinda out of it,so I dont remember where I saw it. I will find it afterwhile and read about the 850 again and let you know.I do know he said they hook it up to a computer and only takes about 10 minutes.I agree they idle fast enough and that might be bad to do.I think I will pass unless it poses some sort of problem,which it shouldnt.Maybe "imhuntincrazy" will see this and tell us a little more about it.He is a Polaris tech

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I found the thread.The guy that has an 850 said that he had the ECM uprade/update whatever,done to his.He also said that he dont know what it fixed but had it done anyhow and it only takes 10 minutes and he was talking to the 550 owner who first asked the question about the upgrade.So I can only assume they can do both. :dunno: Another guy said he heard that it raises the idle 1000-1500 rpm's.So I think I need to make a call or 2

·
Registered
205 Posts
Curious? Its already Kinda high, Raising it would possibly start to engage and move on its own?

Please keep us updated on this.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah that's what I was afraid of because they say it engages at about 2400 I think. I know that you can change that number yourself but if you were to upgrade the ECM then that could cause some major issues I would think.

I'll probably call my dealer today also to try and get a little info. Thanks for the heads up though Slider and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just called the jackass dealer that is close by and they said they never heard anything about it.Which these stupid a holes dont know which way is up.One of you guys might call a more reliable dealer to find out something.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well I have off tomorrow :friday: :rockwoot: so I'll go in to my local dealer and talk with them about it. I need to pick up my replacement seat anyway.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot about that seat deal.Glad it finally came in and I hope it doesnt happen again.I looked at mine when you were talking about it,and its ok.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just talked to the Polaris dealer, They said that there is something that will LOWER the Idle to make them run smoother, So I asked, How would I be able to get that done?

They said They will have to look further into it and get back to me.

I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please do Mechhell.If it "lowers" the idle,then that sounds more like what needs to be done.I kinda figured when I heard that it raised the idle that it was someone not knowing or something.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just talked to the dealer where I got mine and he is calling Polaris right now and will get back to me in a few minutes.I believe that too dont I ? This is a parts guy,because the service guys were busy.I think I will try to get a number for Polaris if he is allowed to give it out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The dealer has called me back 2 times(long distance too)in the past 15 minutes.I might need CPR.They say not aware of upgrades and called back the 2nd time to ask where I heard that.So if you guys want to see what I read about here is the website http://www.atvconnection.com Its in the community/forum Polaris section on page 2

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Dealers I go to said, that theres a website for Polaris dealers called Team Tips, Maybe ask if they have access. I googled it and found it but, Dealer access only.

And ya, I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well I went in and talked to my dealer on Friday and they said they haven't gotten any bulletins from Polaris for the 850 yet. They told me if its out there they just might not have been notified about it yet. They were going to look into it a little more and if they heard anything they would give me a call.

And as for the seat, it's on backorder til the end of the month. :sad:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I still haven't heard from the dealer. I'm beginning to wonder if this is an after market program? not a Polaris update?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heres the info

2009 SPORTSMAN XP 550 - ENGINE IDLE CALIBRATION MID-YEAR CHANGE
A new ECM calibration has been installed on 2009 Sportsman XP 550 models starting April 27, 2009. This
calibration has been developed to improve engine noise and decrease engine vibration on the showroom
floor by increasing the initial idle speed from 1650 RPM to 1800 RPM for the first few minutes of operation.
NOTE: Vehicles with this new calibration will have a higher initial idle speed of 1800 RPM for the
first few minutes of operation. The engine temperature at start-up will influence the actual amount
of time the engine will idle at 1800 RPM before returning to 1700 RPM.

This is a Polaris team tip. I am a Polaris dealer and thought I could help out. If you ha d a good Polaris dealer all they have to do is look up your VIN number and under the team tip info it would apply.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thank you Sir, That puts an end to all the rumors.
Do you what it takes to get this done?

·
Registered
223 Posts
So then this update is only for the 550 and not the 850 right? Because the 850 doesn't idle that high already.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heck with that crap!!! That is too high.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts