Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 2010 550 xp eps touring. This is my first polaris. When you put the bike in H and try to go it takes a lot of throttle before it moves. When it does move it kinda jumps. Is this normal and are there aftermarket clutches to get the bike to move with less throttle and jump! Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
it is the clutches working there way closed to put tension on the belt. Get ahold of Ridinagain and get yourself a QSC clutch kit. It will have new springs and weights that will certainly smooth out your takeoffs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
belt could just be smoked to

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got a 14 550 X2 and it was never as smooth as my 700 until I got a clutch kit from Ryan. If you ride 2 people in hi range going slow you can smoke a belt pretty quickly.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Also make sure that your break isn't engaged.... don't ask me how I know.... couldn't figure out why my son needed to put it in 4x4 to get started on our gravel road figured he just wasn't giving it enough gas. Well about a half mile down the road I started to smell some hot brakes and started seeing a little smoke coming from around the wheel wells. Turns out the parking break was engaged. Thankfully we caught it early enough that it didn't cause any damage but it was a lesson learned the hard way.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The pre 11 550s have a very high idle of something like 1700rpm and engagement on them is very high. The newer ones lowered idle speed and engagement. But the harsh engagement is still there.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The pre 11 550s have a very high idle of something like 1700rpm and engagement on them is very high. The newer ones lowered idle speed and engagement. But the harsh engagement is still there.
Do you think the '13's were made even smoother? I get buttery smooth and almost hydrostatic feeling engagement with my 550. I'm used to harsher engagement with my 700.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 13 550 is very smooth on engagement. I guess i got a rare one as well. ive road several other 13s that were very smooth. Huh makes me wonder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts