Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys Here's one for you. I have a sportsman 550. My mother is wanting to get into off road. She was looking at a rzr but I was thinking a Ranger would be better suited for her. Now today out of the blue she's talking about an atv. My question is this are the rzr's that much smoother a ride than say my 550? And between the SxS which would be a better overall vehicle for trails etc? I know this is a little vague but help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If she's looking to get into the sport i'd start her off on something like the 400HO ATV (actually a 455). You get a lot of ATV for the money, plus easy to drive, proven Fuji engine/powertrain, and a plush ride. Or maybe a 570....costs more $$ but all she would have to do is turn the key and go, no choke to mess with. I can't speak for the RZR's but the Rangers are nice, I have had a lot of windshield time in an 2011 800FI Ranger and its a toss up in ride quality between that and my 13' sportsman. The Sportsman is easier to drive IMO, there are times the Ranger feels sort of clumsy. BUT it sure is nice to have the bench seat and the Dump Box on the ranger. For trails the RZR is going to be better than the Ranger.....

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Okay guys Here's one for you. I have a sportsman 550. My mother is wanting to get into off road. She was looking at a rzr but I was thinking a Ranger would be better suited for her. Now today out of the blue she's talking about an atv. My question is this are the rzr's that much smoother a ride than say my 550? And between the SxS which would be a better overall vehicle for trails etc? I know this is a little vague but help would be greatly appreciated.

Kinda seems like apples to oranges..

Sitting on a bench with pedals and a steering wheel vs straddling a bike with a thumb throttle and a hand break are completely different experiences.

She should really sit on/in both and see which set up feels better, then move on to the RZR vs ranger or what size/model ATV.
To me a ATV would seem more nimble for trail ridding, but I also have no interest in driving a dune buggy, SO I could be biased in that regard.
The RZR would seem like the more nimble of the two SxS and the Ranger is a great work horse. decisions,decisions....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's ridden my sportsman and enjoyed it. The biggest concern I have is the ride comfort. She has some back issues and I'm hoping she'll get the smoothest choice out there. I know that it is her decision but she's still my mom and I wanna look out for her lol. Thanks for your suggestions so far guys keep them coming! I'd really like to heat more about how the rise is on the rzr's

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
She's ridden my sportsman and enjoyed it. The biggest concern I have is the ride comfort. She has some back issues and I'm hoping she'll get the smoothest choice out there. I know that it is her decision but she's still my mom and I wanna look out for her lol. Thanks for your suggestions so far guys keep them coming! I'd really like to heat more about how the rise is on the rzr's

Nothing wrong with looking out for mom, Admirable it is.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You need to have your mom ride both and decide. She may spend upwards of 8k and then decide its not what she wanted. The first step is knowing what you want.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also consider this; at least around my neck of the woods, there are a lot more trail opportunities for an ATV. Many of the trails around me have 50" width maximums. So it will somewhat depend where she'll do the majority of her riding.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I'd get her to look into the 570 RZR. Comfy seats, good for back support, 50" wide so it fits all the trails, very comfortable ride, room for 2, and as easy to drive as a car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If she is mainly doing trails and she had back issues, I would go with a RZR. I just got a Ranger and I will admit it's not very nimble. Also, I bought it to help me clean up all the vegetation on my property and still be able to play a little bit. Next on the list will be a RZR.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help fellas. If people have any more insight into it I'd love to hear it. I have a feeling that she'll end up with a rzr.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Back issues.... on an atv she stand up going over big bumps, hard hits. S x S not so.

·
Registered
815 Posts
power steering in either will make a big difference as far as back pain at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have a herniated disc in my back, and honestly, I have an easier time riding an ATV than sitting. If you think about it, on an ATV I also have my legs under me to help support when going over rough terrain. When sitting, even in my truck, every jolt and bump gets sent straight up my spine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a 2013 RZR 800 LE 50" and a Scramber 850. I owned a 2011 550 touring for a while. The XP chassis is more comfortable than the RZR 50" over real rocky trails. The Ranger, RZR S and XP will not fit through a 50 inch gate. Not sure what your trails are like there. Here in the northeast they are pretty rocky and lots of hills. My dad used to ride my atvs and he said it made his arthitis worse in his hands and wrists. He is 72 now and hasn't ridden in a few years. My brother in law is almost 50 and he stopped riding my atvs and his street bike because of arthitis also. If age or any ailments are factored then a RZR would be better. If you go with the Sportsman 550 consider the EPS model. Makes for less fatigue over rough or long rides.

Tires make some difference in ride also. I switched to the Maxxis from touring and non eps 550/850 to replace the 489s that were on my Scrambler 850. They soak up shock much better and are a little easier to steer. I have the heavy duty 26" PXTs from a Ranger crew on my RZR. I believe they are non radial. They absorb shock ok but the XP atv chassis is just better at it. If you get a RZR 800, aluminum belly pan is a must. You can crack the engine on a rock with the stock skids. I knew about this when I bought my RZR new. I did not take it out on any trails until I put on the aluminum skids. Let us know on what you get. Look for a dealer that sells Victory bikes and Polaris atvs. They probably can offer a better price than other dealers. Any more questions on RZRs just let me know.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you so much for the advice guys. From the sounds of things she is leaning towards a rzr but who really knows at this point. Ronin2 you brought up some good points and I'll pass them on the arthritis is a good point as she has that. I told her that power steering is a must for her. Thanks Again I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have been told by 2 people that the RZRs hurt the back more than an atv, Like said before standing up relieves stress as it permits a "stretch" as you ride.

I have no personal experience with this.

I would definitely have this person ride each. Even if you have to rent them somewhere.

Personally, riding in a cage, sitting in front of a steering wheell isn't what I want. (there are those who do)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts