Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
dick? i've been called worse. warrenty? if not try changing the front DIFF fluid with LT fluid, I think thats what it's called. there are 2 kinds of fluid in that diff, that little reserver is different from the diff fluid, dont touch that or you will need to change that too and bleed it, big pain in the ass.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just took my 550 XP in yesterday to get the ADC checked for the growling/grinding noise while it is still under warranty.It didnt lock up but it makes a heck of a noise in ADC.Hopefully the dealer will tell me something tomorrow.

·
Registered
563 Posts
just hope you dont have water in it, if you do, you might be stuck with 1000$ bill.
They can kiss my ass if they say $1000 bucks lol.I rarely use ADC anyway and it isn't worth that much IMO

·
Registered
126 Posts
You need to change the front diff. fluid and you should change the ADC fluid as well.
the fluids are different so make sure you get the right ones.
My 700 X2 made a real loud grinding noise at 700 miles...... then just changed the front diff. fluid and it went away.

·
Registered
563 Posts
There is no water and the diff fluid is fine on mine but not sure on dickpolaris550's XP.Mine ended up being a bad seal and it damaged the hub in the 4wd. 4play is right about the cost though.They said if I didnt have extended warranty then it would be $1000-$1200 bucks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gee I hope I don't ever have a bad seal in mine. A 1000.00 dollar bill would really suck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
just make sure after every really wet ride, like when you ride her till she's really wet, just before you put her away it dont hurt to finger her diff hole and see if it's milky looking it it is drain her and flush if it is. make sure your seals are not leaking and that your diff vent is up as high as possibe. also check that transmission, I dont think you even want to know the price if you spin a berring and pile that up....... it's about twice what a diff is worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to drain the front diff fluid and bleed the ADC system. Use Demand Drive Plus for both. Not sure if it was the source of the problem or not... but one of my bleed screws would leak air when under vacuum. Even when tightened down. A little teflon tape helped cure the leak and the sound is now gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, Drain the front diff fluid, bleed the ADC, but the problem will probably return unless you constantly keep good clean fluid in both. I have a 08 Sportsman 500, and after about 40 hrs and 1 1/2 months our of warranty, my front diff started making really loud cracking noises when backing up in 4WD. The local dealer suggested that they look at it to see if they could persuade Polaris to assist in any repairs. They confirmed the noise, then proceeded to tell me that Polaris basically said I should have bought an extended warranty. Yeah, like we all have that kind of money laying around. Oh, the mechanic gave me his phone number and proceeded to tell me he works on these at home too...Yeah right!! Anyway, after paying the dealer $100 to drain the fluid to see if it had any metal in it, put it back in, I decided to bring it home and tackle it myself. What I found upon removal and dis assembly was, in the Centralized Hilliard unit, there is a PLASTIC sprague (roller cage) with roller bearings in it. I have read that Hilliard Corp. decided to make this out of plastic to reduce costs. Emailed Polaris & Hilliard questioning the design and again, Polaris apologized for my experience...THAT'S IT!!! Still haven't heard from Hilliard and truthfully don't expect seeing them in the inbox anytime soon. Also, in my research, I read that the armature plate should be changed too. It's on it's way. All in all, I have $400 tied up in this with no help from the dealer or manufacturer...what a shame, as my bike only has 40 hours on it. Yep, 40 HOURS. Either way, I truly like the bike, but wish corners weren't cut for profitability. When I'm done, it'll be better than it was. I've been researching all the fluids for this bike and I will probably go with AMSOIL or MOBILE 1 from here on out. Good luck to everyone with front differential noise!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the grinding noise at 700 miles on my 2009 550. Read about changing the diff fluid and using Demand Drive Plus which is recommended for both ADC and differential on this post. Changed only the diff for openers and it fixed it. Have ADC and no noise in front. Plan on only using ADC if I get really scared being where I shouldn't be. Thanks for the good advice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would use what Polaris recommends.... I think it is called demand drive fluid for the front diff and ADC fluid for the ADC.

I only changed my fluid once in the X2 700 at 700 miles and now I have 1100 miles on and it still is good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. I was looking to use something other than Polaris but I think for those 2 it is a tough to replace item on fluids. I put some Royal Purple 75/90 in the rear diff.

I guess there is no way to drain the ADC and refill? The only thing the service manual says is that you have to bleed and refill before the minimum line.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think the bleed screw will also drain the ADC fluid, there really isn't that much in there.

I just try to keep the reseviour filled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like my front diff grinding noises are not a new issue with these atvs. I was noticing yesterday that there was a rather noticeable vibration in the handlebars and when letting off the throttle, it felt almost like the ADC engaged, but it was in 2 wd. There is also an occasional popping noise coming from the front. The XP only has 22 hours on it! This started on it's first poker run which was a very wet ride. I did get it stuck in a mud hole and crossed a couple of creeks, but never over the floorboards. And the mud wasnt that deep, I just got hung in a deep rut. So I guess I'll check the diff fluid, but jeez, if I can't ride it the way I did last weekend, what good is it? I ride relatively conservative when there's a $9000 wheeler on the line!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The noise in miy XP ADC didn't start until the dealer changed the oil??? Now they tell me it's normal, my A$$!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hate to open up an old thread but my 2010 850XP ADC has been intermittently working and after disengaging the ADC into just 2wd it feels like somethings binding up/not releasing 4x4. 400 miles and I use the ADC lots as we live in mountains and the trails are loose and steep. I just got the old "didn't find anything wrong with your ADC" from the dealer. Typical warranty issue where they don't want to spend the time to duplicate and then find the problem. He didn't have any problem doing the first service for $3XX really quickly but didn't want to spend the time to fix my warranty issue. Service guy was surprised when I told him that I knew about fluid issues, maybe he hasn't heard of the internet? :D They have it for another week, told him to ride it 'til he can duplicate the problem then fix it otherwise I'm trading it in on another Grizzly, 8000km on my '07 and it holds back in 4x4 like I need it to. If I have to change the ADC and diff oil every 300-400 miles then it's not the quad I want. When we go camping I can put that on in less then a week, don't want to be changing fluid at camp half way through.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts