Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 550XP with about 50hrs on it. I have noticed a "clunky" sound in the transmission housing since day-one. It is louder when riding slow on steep terrain. I took it back to the dealer who looked at all the belts and said that everything looked great.

Has anyone else experienced this "clunky" sound in their transmission? If so, is there anything that can be done to eliminate the "clunks".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...Come to think of it, the clunks are more pronounced when I head out to the treestand in the early morning when it is cooler. I'd like to find a way to eliminate the clunks since it is quite annoying to have a new machine that sounds like the transmission belts are slapping around.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
it should become lets noticeable as it gets more hrs on it. (couple hundred) but with the XP having a new clutch set up (solid fixed position), different then the standard sportsman (variable position) i hate to say that the clunk is just one of those little qwirks that comes with a first or second year new model. shouldnt cause any damage what so ever, just annoying as you stated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the post. Glad to hear that damage is highly unlikely. I hope to hear less "clunk" as time passes.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
we had a guy who bought a new 550 from us come back with the same complaint a week later. brought is xp back and our mechanic rode it. he had had an old polaris 400 2stroke for many years and the "clunk" from the XP concerned him. our mechanic looked at everything, all was in spec. we notice all the xp out of the box....clunked. he didnt like it much, but told him to keep riding it to see if it got worse or better. he put his sprayer on the back rack and hooked his trailer up (this was a farming machine now) and after a few weeks of hauling a heavy sprayer and towing a trailer around the fields up and down hills the cluck seemed to almost disapper after he got some time on it.

its only one case but some heavy work for his XP solved his complaint

1 - 6 of 6 Posts