Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of pushing the button to get 4x4 in reverse on my 550. Is there a way to "fix" this?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wait a minute. Do you have to push the button to get 4x4 or is that just to over ride the speed limiter?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
wait a minute. Do you have to push the button to get 4x4 or is that just to over ride the speed limiter?
according to my manual, 4x4 works in reverse if selected. The override button is for the speed limiter.

--md
Exactly!!! Other than trying this OPTION once or twice I have never had the need to use it. It's purpose is simply a safety device. Why anyone would need to go more than 5 MPH in reverse on one of theses things is beyond me.

If stuck in a mud hole, well then you may have to use it. Of course you always have the OPTION of driving around that mud hole also.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
according to my manual, 4x4 works in reverse if selected. The override button is for the speed limiter.

--md
Exactly!!! Other than trying this OPTION once or twice I have never had the need to use it. It's purpose is simply a safety device. Why anyone would need to go more than 5 MPH in reverse on one of theses things is beyond me.

If stuck in a mud hole, well then you may have to use it. Of course you always have the OPTION of driving around that mud hole also.
I agree with "why would anyone need to go faster then 5 MPH in reverse". However there are situations when pulling something (say dead fall,harvested animal,etc) in reverse and needing torque (not speed) is necessary and that DAM little button is very annoying.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
4-wheel low reverse not enough torque??
I Wasn't saying 4x4 low isn't good enough, I was saying that holding the yellow button while going in reverse is very annoying. Without holding the yellow button you hit the rev limiter in reverse.

·
Registered
308 Posts
4-wheel low reverse not enough torque??
I Wasn't saying 4x4 low isn't good enough, I was saying that holding the yellow button while going in reverse is very annoying. Without holding the yellow button you hit the rev limiter in reverse.
Sorry Skizmo I thought that you were saying that holding in the reverse limiter when in reverse gave you extra torque. For sure though the button is annoying and going fast in reverse is a hospital trip wanting to happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
find the wires to the button and wire them together but read the wiring diagram carefully so you get the correct wires also be careful when accelerating in reverse while in 4 wheel drive it will stand you on your nose

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Probably not a good idea pulling anything or dragging anything in reverse. Remember your reverse uses a chain inside the transmission. That chain is no where near as strong as your forward gears. Snap that chain and it's all over but the crying, or should I say cussing.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably not a good idea pulling anything or dragging anything in reverse. Remember your reverse uses a chain inside the transmission. That chain is no where near as strong as your forward gears. Snap that chain and it's all over but the crying, or should I say cussing.
thats good to know!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I installed the reverse override on my 550. Neighbors were looking at me funny when plowing snow, the limiter was not constant. It would limit, then go, limit then go, like it was running out of gas or sputtering. I got tried of the funny looks and tired of trying to hold the yellow button and using the rocker switch for the winch at the same time. The override works great but....Now when you go from reverse to H/L or H/L to reverse the instrument cluster will switch from MPH to RPM or RPM to MPH. It doesn't bother me too much.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldnt like that. But I would like to do away with the button for the limiter. Hadnt thought about plowing snow. That could be frustrating.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Very good know!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If I am not mistaken the chain in the tranny pulls you both forward and reverse. I don't think there is just a chain for reverse.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If I am not mistaken the chain in the tranny pulls you both forward and reverse. I don't think there is just a chain for reverse.

Ronnie
Your froward gears and main shaft are driven directly off the clutch. The reverse gear is chain driven.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts