Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem,if i am cruising sometimes the engine is misfiring and popping.
Full throttle,no problem at all,the time you let the throttle go it gives you this popping sound from the muffler.
The same downhill,but not all the time.
My Dealer like to convince me all of the 570' engines are doing this.
He told me try other fuel,same result.
No codes,nothing.
What is your experience?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Sounds lean to me (from the backfiring at throttle let off). Is it efi?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah the 570 is EFI. Try a new spark plug, the Champion that Polaris provided made my bike backfire a little. I use a NGK CR8EI I think.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The NGK is already in,i too would say it runs to lean but with a EFI there isn't really anything you can adjust.

·
Registered
89 Posts
New machine? Have you had the exhaust or muffler off? I bet it's sucking air when you let off the throttle. Take the exhaust and muffler off and replace the exhaust seals (2 of them) and add some exhaust sealant to them during reassembly

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's pretty new (200 miles) and 23 month warranty remaining.
I just like to figure out if i am the only one with this problem and will then deal with Polaris,the smart talk from my dealer ''all 570 engines are doing this'' are not really convincing,i know one or two things about engines and the time i grew up backfiring wasn't a healthy sign and now he comes and say this is how a modern engine works.
I own 8 Sportsman (6 Cabureted and 2 EFI) and no other fart around like this one.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Look for air intake leaks, perhaps spray some carb cleaner around the various tubes carrying air to see if one has a leak of some sort. I agree it shouldn't backfire, not really healthy to the engine. PCV valve and hose on tight? airbox tight? The drain tube on bottom of airbox closed? look for stuff like that causing extra air to come into the mix. Luck. :cowboy:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Check all exhaust seals I agree it sounds like it is sucking cool air into exhaust.. My 2016 570 does not do that..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
exhaust is tight,air is tight and the shop say no codes no refresh needed.
anyone with a 570 with the same problem?
If i am the only one i have to deal with polaris

·
Registered
615 Posts
My 15 has never backfired or popped like you describe.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will give my dealer another chance,
because to him i have a one hour drive and to the next 2.5 hour.
Yesterday i pulled my trailer and downhill this thing was backfiring the whole time.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know my 08 does that when the throttle freeplay is not right. Dont know about these new machines.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The free play is ok,i checked it and the polaris checked it.
But it looks like everybody else with a 570' has no problems like i have,
so my Dealer is not exactly honest with me and i have to deal with him.
I guess the whole think will get funny.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My 14 was backfiring and missing. Would foul plugs quick if you didn't stay on it hard. Ended up having to be reflashed. Problems gone, same plug for two years now.

Do you know for sure if they hooked it up to diagnostics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know for sure,the technician told me so.
But he won't be the first one who is not 100% honest.
He showed me a fouled plug and i pulled the plug the day before and the plug looks perfect,anything is possible but now again my plug looks perfect.
This is why i ask if anybody else have the same problem before i make his life uncomfortable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi folks, just a little info, the term backfire is through the intake system and afterfire / popping through the exhaust. Popping out the exhaust is a rich fuel from a closed throttle during the transition from on the throttle to abruptly closing the throttle. When it reaches the hot exhaust it will cause small explosions, hence the pop pop pop sound. Also true if there is any air getting in the exhaust system it's worse. Sofisticated fuel controllers can cut all fuel off untill the throttle plate gets to idle speed fuel flow. I don't know how fancy our ecm is but I would not think so. Cruising shouldn't cause any problems if all fuel is burned in the combustion process. A misfiring plug will certainly put raw fuel into the exhaust and do a lot of popping as it is getting air with the fuel, thus exploding when it reaches the hot exhaust. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cariboo my brother you have found another with the same problem. My 2015 EFI EPS 570 Sportsman is one year old. Got about 40 hours on it. Drove around in some high water out at the deer lease last weekend (Houston area, lots of rain). After riding for a couple hours, we hit the hard pack dirt road and opened up the wheelers for some much needed speed and fresh air. After WOT for a few minutes, I let off the gas and ka-pow! just like halfcirclej described, afterfire/popping thru the exhaust (I called it backfire too, but I guess halfcircle is technically right). I went WOT and let off again and it went Ka-Pow! again. My first thought was the high water had something to do with it but after reading this thread I am thinking maybe it is my fuel. I use Seafoam regularly but I don't measure the amount I use very well. I just kind of guesstimate how much I put to a fuel add (I say "fuel add" as I usually only ever run it down to a half tank before refueling). Maybe I have the mixture of Seafoam to regular unleaded too high?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts