Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so sort of fed up of reading the same old comments.
People asking about relocating their battery and being told its absolutely fine where it is. Which is absolutely fine and opinions count BUT when the OP never gets the answer its frustrating to keep reading the same thing.

So for those who really do not care that its in a good location already and simply want to relocate their battery where would be a good place to do it?

I am competing in the Croatia Trophy this year and so am prepping for some mud and lots of dunking at weird angles. I am about to relocate the radiator and so from what I can see that free's up a lot of space to lift the battery. Not a great deal further but its not far off a foot higher.

Has anyone else relocated their batteries and where have you put them please. I was thinking of the rear compartment but as it stays warm I might keep that for keeping my lunch in or drying gloves on the trails (if I can keep it waterproof).

I know I am going to hear about but please STOP before starting to write a comment about "leave it where it is, its fine" etc. I want to move it simples. Please help me move it guys and girls. Sorry to be a little forward but have been searching for ages reading the same thing.

Just to help bump the bad location (in my eyes) I get the quad very deep in mud and water. I have recently started to notice while cleaning after a good run, stones stuck in the mud between the battery and shaft to the front diff. It wont be long till something catches and the battery gets damaged. The shaft is already got serious gouge lines from the stones.

I am looking at the negative wire on the battery which goes to the starter motor. Can I remove this and move it to a different location on the engine or must this go to the starter motor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Should go to starter for reliability but I guess you could just ground the negative and make it work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
regarding the radiator, i agree with u about relocating it, we have had issues once with a couple 570's getting caked up on a trail where the scramblers had no issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just relocated mine in the back storage compartment, it fit great, and there is plenty of room to even add a larger battery if you want. I will try to post picks tomorrow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Original battery behind seat. I have another battery in stock location. Running 2 batteries for 4000lb winch I'm installing.
Plus when I use my 26 gallon sprayer I can get to the battery easy. And also use jumper cables for jumping other bikes off without getting burnt by exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was always thinking I would use the front storage compartment. I
Don't really care about losing the amount of storage the battery takes up, I care more about ease of battery access when I need it. But that rear storage compartment is looking really tempting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I cut a piece of 3/4 plywood to fit under the battery to raise it up so you can access the terminals easier. There is about 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance from the seat, plenty of room. Down the road I might just go to 1 battery like 21AH or larger and I think it might fit in there also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Still get to use 70% or dry box. This is where Polaris should of mounted it.
Lol "dry box"! My battery keeps dying, I guess I need to return it back to auto zone. I have a dual battery setup, but it doesnt work if your batteries are p.o.s. ;) stock and durakast both cant hold a charge.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
yeah i've gotten a defective new battery more than once, atleast the last time it happened i caught it right away and got a exchange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this info I just purchased 2015 570 sportsman. I too was thinking WFT when I saw where they put the battery. I purchased a 220 cca gel battery so I think I'm going with the rear trunk as the battery doesn't have to be upright to work. Although I really like the behind the seat option too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My buddy got a 2016 570. I puked when I saw where Polaris places the battery, in front of the engine where it gets soaked in water and mud.

My 2012 500 has it mounted over the left rear tire in a cradle. I run 3-5 feet of water often with tons of mud and still no issues.

My friend apparently got his belt wet one day when we were riding, but his battery is fine. He also takes his bike home after hunting and washes it. I leave mine @ hunt camp as is in a atv trailer where the mud hardens on it. Lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
My buddy got a 2016 570. I puked when I saw where Polaris places the battery, in front of the engine where it gets soaked in water and mud.

My 2012 500 has it mounted over the left rear tire in a cradle. I run 3-5 feet of water often with tons of mud and still no issues.

My friend apparently got his belt wet one day when we were riding, but his battery is fine. He also takes his bike home after hunting and washes it. I leave mine @ hunt camp as is in a atv trailer where the mud hardens on it. Lol

If you run in 3-5ft of water and do not have any problem with your battery being just above the right rear tire then it to would be getting cakes with mud and water a lot and if it's not having any problems then whats the point in really having to move it on a 570?

·
Registered
229 Posts

If you run in 3-5ft of water and do not have any problem with your battery being just above the right rear tire then it to would be getting cakes with mud and water a lot and if it's not having any problems then whats the point in really having to move it on a 570?

I have it above the right rear tire. He has his in the front frame rail. He collects 500x water and mud as I do. Yes I collect some mud but mostly reverse causes it more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
battery relocate

Original battery behind seat. I have another battery in stock location. Running 2 batteries for 4000lb winch I'm installing.
Plus when I use my 26 gallon sprayer I can get to the battery easy. And also use jumper cables for jumping other bikes off without getting burnt by exhaust.
do you have any more picos install?

·
Registered
7 Posts
another option, puts the battery where i was told the older models came with it. above the rear driver tire. i found the quad logic kit and gave it a try on my 450. for some reason the 450 did not like the extra length of battery cable or the extra terminal block. the lcd display would turn of and the starter would make one click. i used 6 gauge for the rewire. the kit came with an added terminal block where the original battery came for easier installation. ended up putting the battery back in the same location for now. when i have more time i might try again but for now i need the machine to run properly and not get stranded somewhere. I have seen good reviews of the kit for the 570 though. maybe something is different. below is the link.

https://quad-logic.com/shop/sportsman-570/electrical-sportsman-570/sportsman-570-battery-relocate-kit/

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no issues with location but then again I’m not into competition like OP. Take a look at this:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173906964363
another option, puts the battery where i was told the older models came with it. above the rear driver tire. i found the quad logic kit and gave it a try on my 450. for some reason the 450 did not like the extra length of battery cable or the extra terminal block. the lcd display would turn of and the starter would make one click. i used 6 gauge for the rewire. the kit came with an added terminal block where the original battery came for easier installation. ended up putting the battery back in the same location for now. when i have more time i might try again but for now i need the machine to run properly and not get stranded somewhere. I have seen good reviews of the kit for the 570 though. maybe something is different. below is the link.

Sportsman 570 Battery Relocate Kit – Quad Logic
Have you or anyone with a 570 you know tried this from the ebay link ? Looks pretty good and a nice option.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have you or anyone with a 570 you know tried this from the ebay link ? Looks pretty good and a nice option.
I or anyone I know hasn’t done relocation. I would say location I posted might be better for competition being its centered for even weight distribution.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Sprotsman you da man!!!! That is very cool!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts