Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been multiple threads on battery relocation. I started a new one because I don't want folks to have to wade through 5+ pages to get to the information. This is a very simple relocation and I believe it is in the best spot possible. I know some folks argue that moving it isn't necessary and the OEM spot is just fine. I beg to differ. Now I can swap batteries in less than one minute and use jumper cables if the need arises. Pop the seat and it's right there. Out of the mud, out of the water, etc. Enjoy.

I began by making a bracket for the battery. I found a piece of .090" thick 5052-H32 aluminum that I had scrapped at work. I used the band saw and cut notches on the corners then I had to also cut the notches on the long sides just so it would fit down to the break line in my vice. I bend it all by hand using the vice. The I drilled some drain holes just in case. Then I drilled two holes to mount to the glove box. Then I made a bracket to secure the bottom of the main bracket to the gear case.

Next was to move the glove box rearward to make room for the bracket. I took the two push-pins out of the front end of the box. Then I moved the molded in clip on the bottom from the front side of the frame tube to the back side. I drilled four holes in it so I could use black cable ties. A band clamp could be used here but the strength is not needed and I wanted something black to camouflage the modification...not highlight it.

I then put two 1/4-20 bolts through the bracket into the glove box to hold the forward end of the box up and mount it securely.

The glove box now sets a few inches rearward from it's OEM location. It still looks OEM on the rear of the machine. The door which was poorly molded and will never seal out dirt or water is still there...but that's another subject. (who designs this sh1t?)

Continuing on another post...since there is a stupid 5 photo per post max....

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The bracket on the bottom mounts to the gear case as shown. I just used a junk bolt and some hardware laying around.

Installed from the rear it looks like this. I didn't paint it so I didn't worry about chipping or scratching it putting it in. Also, the chemfilm on the aluminum will outlast the paint anyway. Looks nice tucked up there an the glovebox looks normal.

View from on top of the ATV.

Next step is to lengthen the cables. Don't cheap out on wire size. Same AWG or heavier! I just used some hardware left over from my electrician days.

The positive cable I found a nice little terminal block. Secured both ends, wrapped with rubber splicing tape, then with Super 88.

The grounds I just found an old clamp and clamped all three cables together and wrapped them the same as the other one.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Install battery. I bought an ETX-15 but I'm going to go back to the store after work and see if I can get a slightly larger one. I have an extra almost 3 inches wide and several inches of height now. Maybe I can get a few more cranking amps. I don't have that answer yet.

Pop the seat and wolla...battery right on top, easy to get to, easy to replace, and out of the muck.

You can see in both pictures, in the upper left hand corner, just how much the glove box has moved rearward. Compare the tab on the box to the hole in the frame where it was clipped originally.

If anyone want to copy this design and start selling the kits with this bracket already made...have at it....just through me something for my design and spelling it out for you. :grin

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks good. Only concern might be how those 1/4x20s hold up in the plastic of the glovebox, rest of it looks solid, nice work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts