Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 570 that blows the 20amp fuse for the lights. When that fuse blows and you turn off the machine, you cannot restart without replacing the fuse. This only happens when the lights are on, and you hit the brakes. It also does not happen all the time. Most notably, it happens when I'm riding hard, lots of bumps at high speed. I've looked at it, I've had smarter people look at it, no loose wires, no damage, no shorts, no bad grounds, etc. that can be found. I've tried different size fuses, but they blow as well.
Any thoughts? Other than disconnecting lights and running independant lights...
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts
Sounds like bad wires to me. Start at the rear since it's also happening when the brake lights come on. Remove one bulb to isolate the side it's happening to.

·
9,186 Posts
Yep, sounds like a dead short somewhere in the brake circuit if that's the only time it does it I would think. But, if I'm reading it right, it only does it only does it when the lights are turned on AND you hit the brake.
Hmm... I think I'd first closely inspect/test the tail light/brake light sockets and harness... and make sure its got good ground.
I'd also check the brake pressure switch at the brake line cross. Those terminals are very close together and could easily get bent. Test the switch itself too if no obvious issue with the wires.
A problem there I think would also explain the no start condition till the fuse is replaced.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think bad wires as well, but I can't find anything. And the brake light/starter is confusing. The hard part is that the issue is very difficult to replicate. I will try your suggestion, removing one light bulb and try to isolate. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like bad wires to me. Start at the rear since it's also happening when the brake lights come on. Remove one bulb to isolate the side it's happening to.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, sounds like a dead short somewhere in the brake circuit if that's the only time it does it I would think. But, if I'm reading it right, it only does it only does it when the lights are turned on AND you hit the brake.
Hmm... I think I'd first closely inspect/test the tail light/brake light sockets and harness... and make sure its got good ground.
I'd also check the brake pressure switch at the brake line cross. Those terminals are very close together and could easily get bent. Test the switch itself too if no obvious issue with the wires.
A problem there I think would also explain the no start condition till the fuse is replaced.

Correct, only when lights are on AND I hit the brakes. If lights are off I have no issues. I've pulled bulbs, traced wires, etc. and can't find anything. Everything is lubed to ensure good contact...
I will try to check the brake pressure switch...had not thought about that. Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
latebird may be able to get more detailed about how to chase it down.
Have you got a wire diagram?
No, I do not have a wire diagram...I can probably find one online, if not on this site.

·
Registered
216 Posts
One of the first things you might try is to take and move the wire harness around. In this case, I would think it is where the wires can move easily. You did say it happens when you are riding hard. If a bear wire grounds out just for a second the fuse will blow and the wire hardness will go back to a safe position. Keep in mind it could be when you are turning the handlebars. You are stretching the wires and then moving them back to a safe position.

45 years ago I had a similar problem with my GMC stick shift. Was up hunting in the backcountry, and the tail light would blow the fuse. I thought it was when I applied the brakes. Went into a gas station and they put the truck on the lift. Had a bear spot on a wire. But it was when I applied the clutch. When I applied the brakes to downshift I also depressed the clutch peddle.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I suggest you test the brake light diode (part number 2411035) - I suspect it has shorted out and is conducting in both directions - the diode is there so you can apply the brake and start the engine when in gear. If you can start the engine in gear without applying the brake, it is bad or missing - on some pre-owned machines uninformed persons have removed the diode thinking it was a fuse and either installed a fuse in its place or by-passing it altogether.

I do not have the wiring diagram for the 2016 570 at this time

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the first things you might try is to take and move the wire harness around. In this case, I would think it is where the wires can move easily. You did say it happens when you are riding hard. If a bear wire grounds out just for a second the fuse will blow and the wire hardness will go back to a safe position. Keep in mind it could be when you are turning the handlebars. You are stretching the wires and then moving them back to a safe position.

45 years ago I had a similar problem with my GMC stick shift. Was up hunting in the backcountry, and the tail light would blow the fuse. I thought it was when I applied the brakes. Went into a gas station and they put the truck on the lift. Had a bear spot on a wire. But it was when I applied the clutch. When I applied the brakes to downshift I also depressed the clutch peddle.
Thanks. I'll go back and double check...maybe something will stand out now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suggest you test the brake light diode (part number 2411035) - I suspect it has shorted out and is conducting in both directions - the diode is there so you can apply the brake and start the engine when in gear. If you can start the engine in gear without applying the brake, it is bad or missing - on some pre-owned machines uninformed persons have removed the diode thinking it was a fuse and either installed a fuse in its place or by-passing it altogether.

Thanks, I'll double check. I don't recall it starting without the brake on, but I pull the brake out of habit so not sure.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have just been informed the service manual for 2014, 15 ad 16 is the same - I have the wiring diagram for the 2014 - if you would like a copy of it, just PM your email address to me with a note of what you are requesting and I will mail it to you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks, I'll double check. I don't recall it starting without the brake on, but I pull the brake out of habit so not sure.

I tried to start without the brake, but it won't start unless I apply the brake.

·
Registered
216 Posts

I tried to start without the brake, but it won't start unless I apply the brake.

That's right. All the bikes required you to apply the brake to start. My 18 850 SP I have to apply the brake. But I only need to pull the brake lever VERY VERY little. But not enough to brake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you ever figure out issue I just bought a 2019 570 sportsman and am having same issues under warranty but neither dealer or Polaris can figure out what is wrong. It is just at random also dies for no reason while riding but will start right back up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts