Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I purchased a 2014 Sportsman 570 camo which comes with EBS. I don't like the EBS. I called the dealer and they called Polaris Tech line and they told them the only difference was the one way bearing in the primary, but when I look in the parts catalog it shows two different secondaries depending on whether the machine has EBS or not.

My question is:

If I replace the primary bearing with the two way bearing can I still run the EBS secondary?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Sigo

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
First of all I do not think that anyone one form the Polaris Corp. would even discuss removing the EBS with anyone. The EBS is a important safety feature and is there for a reason. No dealer worth anything, would have done this, simply for liability reasons. Your dealer should have warned against it and refused to even get involved. No one in the forum should provide the information for the same reason.

The EBS eliminates the need or requirement to have a tethered kill switch.
Once you get used to it won't even notice it is there.
By defeating it, you will most certainly void the warranty.
Better start carrying a few extra sets of brake pads with you and be prepared to change them on the trail.

Would be like calling GM and asking how to disable the anti lock brakes because you do not like them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Interesting.
Wonder why the non camo version does not have EBS?
They must be real dangerous.
You should maybe do some research be for you post derogatory replies.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I also can't stand the EBS on Polaris machines.

It should totally be an option.

And LOL at it being dangerous to NOT have anti lock brakes!!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
First of all I do not think that anyone one form the Polaris Corp. would even discuss removing the EBS with anyone; because their tech support sucks. The EBS is not a important safety feature and is there for a reason. No dealer worth anything, would have done this unless they have great customer service, simply for public relations reasons. Your dealer should have warned against it but still get involved to help you out. Everyone one in the forum should provide the information for the same reason.

(Even though EBS will let you roll down a mountain, diced your tires, and not prevent you from being stupid)
(Except for that drastic slowing that happens everytime you let off the throttle; causing you to potentially flip down a mountain)
(As if Polaris even approves warranty work anyway)

Better start carrying a few extra sets of brake pads with you and be prepared to change them on the trail. (Due to extreme speeds and having to ride the brakes everytime you let off the throttle; coasting to a stop is NOT an option)
Would be like calling GM and asking how to disable the anti lock brakes because you do not like them. (Even though they designed the system to pump twice to deactivate anti-lock function; asking how to use a system vs modifying the system is now the same thing)
Lol just pokin' fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all I do not think that anyone one form the Polaris Corp. would even discuss removing the EBS with anyone; because their tech support sucks. The EBS is not a important safety feature and is there for a reason. No dealer worth anything, would have done this unless they have great customer service, simply for public relations reasons. Your dealer should have warned against it but still get involved to help you out. Everyone one in the forum should provide the information for the same reason.

(Even though EBS will let you roll down a mountain, diced your tires, and not prevent you from being stupid)
(Except for that drastic slowing that happens everytime you let off the throttle; causing you to potentially flip down a mountain)
(As if Polaris even approves warranty work anyway)

Better start carrying a few extra sets of brake pads with you and be prepared to change them on the trail. (Due to extreme speeds and having to ride the brakes everytime you let off the throttle; coasting to a stop is NOT an option)
Would be like calling GM and asking how to disable the anti lock brakes because you do not like them. (Even though they designed the system to pump twice to deactivate anti-lock function; asking how to use a system vs modifying the system is now the same thing)
Lol just pokin' fun.
Now thats funny, you read my mind.

·
Registered
805 Posts
First of all I do not think that anyone one form the Polaris Corp. would even discuss removing the EBS with anyone.

I work at a dealer, I am a mechanic, and I discuss this with many customers. I also discuss adding EBS and have put two customers in contact and have swapped clutches for them. A GOOD DEALER SHOULD HAVE TECHS ON HAND THAT KNOW THE CLUTCHING INSIDE AND OUT AND SHOULD NOT NEED TO CALL SOME DESK JOCKEY TO GET INFORMATION.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The EBS is a important safety feature and is there for a reason. No dealer worth anything, would have done this, simply for liability reasons. Your dealer should have warned against it and refused to even get involved. No one in the forum should provide the information for the same reason.

It is NOT a safety feature. Its simply a feature that some riders prefer to have. It can and HAS caused accidents with inexperienced riders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, a tethered kill switch is to shut down the machine if the riders falls off or has to bail. And worse, if the machine rolls and throttle becomes stuck open. EBS will slow a machine down, but will not prevent engine damage in the event of a rollover or prevent a run away machine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No you will not, many polaris ATVs come without EBS from the factory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better start carrying a few extra sets of brake pads with you and be prepared to change them on the trail.

This just makes me laugh. All automatic car drivers should have a spare set of pads in the glove box and be prepared to change them on the side of the highway :veryhappy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be like calling GM and asking how to disable the anti lock brakes because you do not like them.

Anti lock brakes and EBS are not even close to the same thing. EBS has NOTHING to do with the braking system on the ATV.
Starrider your post shows your ignorance on the subject and I added some correct information.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I can't stand EBS....this thread has been funny to follow "causing you to flip down a mountain" :lmao:

·
Registered
422 Posts
My 570 being the first CVT quad of any kind I ever owned, I was interested to see if I wanted EBS. After reading a lot of people that hate it, kinda glad I didn't get it. Wish they could come up with a system you can turn on and off

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anybody know what clutch puller for 570 ? epi number?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
First of all I do not think that anyone one form the Polaris Corp. would even discuss removing the EBS with anyone.

I work at a dealer, I am a mechanic, and I discuss this with many customers. I also discuss adding EBS and have put two customers in contact and have swapped clutches for them. A GOOD DEALER SHOULD HAVE TECHS ON HAND THAT KNOW THE CLUTCHING INSIDE AND OUT AND SHOULD NOT NEED TO CALL SOME DESK JOCKEY TO GET INFORMATION.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The EBS is a important safety feature and is there for a reason. No dealer worth anything, would have done this, simply for liability reasons. Your dealer should have warned against it and refused to even get involved. No one in the forum should provide the information for the same reason.

It is NOT a safety feature. Its simply a feature that some riders prefer to have. It can and HAS caused accidents with inexperienced riders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, a tethered kill switch is to shut down the machine if the riders falls off or has to bail. And worse, if the machine rolls and throttle becomes stuck open. EBS will slow a machine down, but will not prevent engine damage in the event of a rollover or prevent a run away machine.

This just makes me laugh. All automatic car drivers should have a spare set of pads in the glove box and be prepared to change them on the side of the highway :veryhappy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti lock brakes and EBS are not even close to the same thing. EBS has NOTHING to do with the braking system on the ATV.
Starrider your post shows your ignorance on the subject and I added some correct information.
Interesting perspective you have!

Discussing it with customers and telling them how to defeat it are to different things. I do not think Polaris spent the extra time and money to add it to most their larger machines, because they had nothing better to do. I have never heard any one say I only bought my Polaris because of the EBS.

You say it is not a safety feature, yet the Polaris web site states it provides a safer more comfortable riding experience. The salesmen all sell it as a safety feature. They must all be wrong? You say it there because it is simply a feature that some riders prefer to have. So is more storage and a host of other things. You don't Polaris adding that stuff do you.

You say the EBS has caused some accidents by "inexperienced riders". So has many other things mainly the throttle and stupidity.

Your are right about the the tether, I should have worded it a little different. The EBS will/should prevent that machine from continuing down the trail if the driver is thrown off.

Read the Warranty, "any unauthorized Modifications". As this is only about the 100th time this subject has come up in this forum. Last tme, I took the time to contact Polaris, not the dealer. Their response was, wait for it!!!!! Due to liability reasons we will not discuss how to defeat this safety feature or authorize it. He explained that it is recommended NTSB on the higher HP machines and will eventually become mandatory. Then promptly referred to the Warranty, see above.

Brake pads. First of all you can not compare these brake pads to anything that is designed and manufactured for a car. they get what 20,000 miles out of a set of brake pads? Anyone one here getting 20,000 miles out of a set of these pads, anyone??? More realistically a 1000 miles some complaing the get less that 500. Now eliminate the EBS and see how many miles you get out of a set of pads!

I never said anti lock brakes had anything to do with EBS. That was just an example, read it again.

I have been riding 2,3, and four wheels since 1976. I should also include 6 sleds. Have been ASE certified since 1984, how about you???

Hopefully these customers of yours you talk about will never suffer a an injury or worse due to this modification.

I will disregard your comment concerning my ignorance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Interesting perspective you have!

Discussing it with customers and telling them how to defeat it are to different things. I do not think Polaris spent the extra time and money to add it to most their larger machines, because they had nothing better to do. I have never heard any one say I only bought my Polaris because of the EBS.

You say it is not a safety feature, yet the Polaris web site states it provides a safer more comfortable riding experience. The salesmen all sell it as a safety feature. They must all be wrong? You say it there because it is simply a feature that some riders prefer to have. So is more storage and a host of other things. You don't Polaris adding that stuff do you.

You say the EBS has caused some accidents by "inexperienced riders". So has many other things mainly the throttle and stupidity.

Your are right about the the tether, I should have worded it a little different. The EBS will/should prevent that machine from continuing down the trail if the driver is thrown off.

Read the Warranty, "any unauthorized Modifications". As this is only about the 100th time this subject has come up in this forum. Last tme, I took the time to contact Polaris, not the dealer. Their response was, wait for it!!!!! Due to liability reasons we will not discuss how to defeat this safety feature or authorize it. He explained that it is recommended NTSB on the higher HP machines and will eventually become mandatory. Then promptly referred to the Warranty, see above.

Brake pads. First of all you can not compare these brake pads to anything that is designed and manufactured for a car. they get what 20,000 miles out of a set of brake pads? Anyone one here getting 20,000 miles out of a set of these pads, anyone??? More realistically a 1000 miles some complaing the get less that 500. Now eliminate the EBS and see how many miles you get out of a set of pads!

I never said anti lock brakes had anything to do with EBS. That was just an example, read it again.

I have been riding 2,3, and four wheels since 1996. I should also include 6 sleds. Have been ASE certified since 1984, how about you???

Hopefully these customers of yours you talk about will never suffer a an injury or worse due to this modification.

I will disregard your comment concerning my ignorance.
The bottom line is Polaris makes the same machine with and without EBS they do not have tethers on one and not on the other, they have the same brake pads , etc.
you are indeed ingnorant on this topic.
Now if we could get back to people actually interested in helpful conversation I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The bottom line is Polaris makes the same machine with and without EBS they do not have tethers on one and not on the other, they have the same brake pads , etc.
you are indeed ingnorant on this topic.
Now if we could get back to people actually interested in helpful conversation I would appreciate it.
You are correct they do offer the same machine without the EBS, we already knew that. However we were discussing defeating the factory EBS. I simply offered my opinion regarding the safety aspects of this topic as I have done each and every time the subject comes up and for good reason. Nothing more!

You sir, are the one who choose to make it confrontational instead of being helpful to the OP. Once again, I will disregard your comment on my ignorance.
We have all met what Polaris and other manufactures call mechanics or technicians. 80% of who I would not let check the air pressure in my tires.

Nuff said!!!

As to being helpful to the OP. I stand by everything I posted regarding this topic. I have previously taken the time ask Polaris the questions the same questions you ask in your original post, because this topic seems to come up over and over again. The manufacturer designed it and put it there for a reason, they do not recommend it be defeated or modified in any way.

However it is your machine, and you have the right to modify it any way you chose. My advise is leave it intact and it will become a non issue after a short amount if time.

You must also take the advise of some in these forums with a grain of salt. Some of the advise offered just makes my hair stand on end. I will now let you decide what is best for you and your machine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all I am the OP and I read what you had to say. Your original post was condescending and implied I was unintelligent. Your arguement holds no water in my opinion. We will have to agree to disagree.
Move on to another thread please.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It was not meant to be condescending toward you, so I apologize for that. One thing I have noticed though, not one of many well know and respected Polaris Techs, who are members have come in and told you it was a good idea and offered advise on how to do it. I wonder why that is.

With that said, I''l respect your request. Have fun, but most of all stay safe.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
anybody know what clutch puller for 570 ? epi number?
I have an epi pcp-1 puller if you want it. It's brand new in the package.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how much?
I think I have a friend that has it, but may want my own.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts