Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered front and rear rack extenders. Rear fit perfect but front posts in center were about 1 inch short. Gave me another one, Same thing. They are supposed to be looking into it. Anyone else fighting this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that was the part number, didn't know if anyone had one that fit right or maybe these were just marked wrong? The dealer doesn't seem to be in any hurry to figure it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing, put mine on and the front two posts seem to be about an inch short. My dealer sent Polaris a parts mod but Polaris said to put the bolts in and snug them down. I know it does not seem like it would work but it does. I have not had any issues since I put the bolts in

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same thing, put mine on and the front two posts seem to be about an inch short. My dealer sent Polaris a parts mod but Polaris said to put the bolts in and snug them down. I know it does not seem like it would work but it does. I have not had any issues since I put the bolts in
Could you take a picture of how the rack looks after tightening down those 2 bolts and closing up that gap?
I bought the rack a few weeks ago and didnt install it yet. After reading this I went out and laid the rack extender on the rack. Huge gap:nixweiss:...I'm thinking that would eventually crack the plastic if tightened down.
I will probably return the rack tomorrow. Crappy design

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you drill holes, and suck the rack extender down to the front rack, there will be a lot of pull on the rack. I cant imagine the rack lasting very long with that much constant pull on it? I think this must just be a design flaw?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Although I have an '08 Touring, my steel front rack extender has the same situation with the 2 front legs. They are about a 1/2" shorter. However, from what I have read on other sites, this is normal and NOT a design flaw. Why this is done, I don't know, but I've never had a problem with the rack. I think you should leave it as designed.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Could you use washers, etc to shim out the gap ? Lowes would have some sort of collar you could use. Get longer bolts if needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same thought when I got mine. I double checked the part number and then drilled the holes and installed it. It pulled snug relatively easy. Just make sure you use the provided washer to put between the head of the screw and the plastic. This distributes the tension over a bigger plain lessening the potential of the plastic cracking. I've had no issues but shared the same suspicions you do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah fly, we can make the rack work, but why should we have to make it work? Gez it is a rack supposedly for a 570, I have a welder an some fab skills, but I shouldn't have to use them on this!
I went ahead and drilled mine out and sucked it down like they say but I am skeptical of the rack sealing to the storage box now? If it leaks I will be pissed!
By the way, my Polaris dealer was not any help on this issue!
I will be buying another in the near future but don't know what make it will be. Very poor customer service on this!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah fly, we can make the rack work, but why should we have to make it work? Gez it is a rack supposedly for a 570, I have a welder an some fab skills, but I shouldn't have to use them on this!
I went ahead and drilled mine out and sucked it down like they say but I am skeptical of the rack sealing to the storage box now? If it leaks I will be pissed!
I will be buying another in the near future but don't know what make it will be. Very poor customer service on this!
Is the rear rack short also

·
Registered
24 Posts
I returned mine because of this. My dealer contacted Polaris and they said it will work fine just tighten the front 2 bolts first, then tighten the 4 rear bolts. They said they have no intentions of redesigning the rack. I work in precision sheet metal and could make some spacers and buy longer bolts but why should I have to?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took one of the black bolt cut the head off ground a point screwed up into the rack put rack on hit with my hand made a mark move the bolt did again then drilled

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took one of the black bolt cut the head off ground a point screwed up into the rack put rack on hit with my hand made a mark move the bolt did again then drilled
Thanks for the info that's a great idea

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just ran into the same issue today with the two center post being about 1/2 inch short. When I called my dealer I was told not to drill holes as the instructions state. Simply install the rack without the center two bolts. The storage lids on the 570 are slightly different from the older models and if you do install as per directions you will be putting unnecessary stress on the lid. I may fab some shims (I like that idea); my initial thought was to put rubber "feet" on the center post. For my needs the rack works ok as installed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe if people start contacting polaris about this issue they will change the design

·
Registered
130 Posts
I solved my issue with the front rack extender's short middle post by installing a rubber spacer between the post and the storage lid. I modified two small (boat style)bilge plugs, similar to those used on the lock & ride applications. I simply removed the metal hardware from the plugs and discarded it. Now my rack extension is shock mounted to the lid (longer fasteners will be required). The damn thing should have been designed that way by Polaris. I hope they are listening! BTW, I'd like my $12.00 back that it cost to fix their oversight.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts