Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a new 2017 570 EPS with Polaris winch and snow blade fitted for abouy 6 weeks now.

We just had an 8 inch dump of snow, quickly followed by another 4 inches. Wet and heavy snow which flew out of the way and my 120' drive was cleared very quickly. My neighbours also got the benefit of no shovelling !!

However, I do find the gears difficult to select, backwards and forwards until I find the gear I need. Is this normal for a new 570 ? From 'N' is slips into 'L' easily, but from 'R' to 'L' or back again it is very sticky.

Otherwise this is a great quad with a super ride. I bought it for the snow clearing abilities, but it zooms round the forest tracks brilliantly.

It's just the gear shifting !!

TJ

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Sportsman 2017 450ho that acts the same way but it's getting better with use (almost 70 hours) I'm thinking a break-in period is necessary hopefully after the 1st fluid change (100 hrs) it will smooth out. Maybe other will chime in soon to with their experiences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a new 2017 570 EPS with Polaris winch and snow blade fitted for abouy 6 weeks now.

We just had an 8 inch dump of snow, quickly followed by another 4 inches. Wet and heavy snow which flew out of the way and my 120' drive was cleared very quickly. My neighbours also got the benefit of no shovelling !!

However, I do find the gears difficult to select, backwards and forwards until I find the gear I need. Is this normal for a new 570 ? From 'N' is slips into 'L' easily, but from 'R' to 'L' or back again it is very sticky.

Otherwise this is a great quad with a super ride. I bought it for the snow clearing abilities, but it zooms round the forest tracks brilliantly.

It's just the gear shifting !!

TJ

If it is cold the EFI could be running at higher idle RPM. This will cause more effort to move into gear. Just a possibility. Break in will also loosen up over time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Not only engine speed, but you have to be at a complete stop to shift into gear. You can shift out of gear pretty easily without coming to a stop, but you have to be at a complete stop to shift into gear. No amount of break-in or type of lubricant has much effect on a constant mesh transmission. And yes, if the idle is raised due to colder (denser) air, it will increase the difficulty of shifting into gear. Get a Honda with a Hondamatic torque converter and electric shift. You will never go back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Latebird,

I did go to the Honda dealer and was completely ignored for ten minutes by the single salesman who, in fairness, was talking to someone, but who didn't acknowledge my existence. So I left.

Cost also had a lot to do with the Polaris choice. I'm not going to charge around trails, just scoot around a few local areas. Mainly needed for snow clearance on my drive now I'm getting a bit old to shovel !! I paid the equivalent of $7500 (US) with plow, taxes etc, out the door. No dealers of the other makes, and I checked them all, could get near that price and I couldn't justify paying over the odds for the type of use this quad is going to get.

I actually liked the Yamaha best, but another $2k for the 450 !

Guess I'll be putting up with the gears as they are. I'm still hoping that they will ease up some, my son's Ace is much easier.

Regards

TJ

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have thought that maybe Polaris should have put the shift lever in a different spot, maybe a little farther forward and higher up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Its also possible that your clutch needs to be shimmed. When I bought my 2016 570 it was really hard to shift and it would want to creep forward when in gear. I took it back in to the dealer and had them shim the clutch and it has been much easier to shift and no more creeping since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darius,

Thanks for that. I wonder if it's the problem. I will get them to check when it gets its first service.

It's the only thing I don't like about this quad. Fantastic otherwise !

TJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts