Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to chadwick mo for some snowy riding. Unloaded the quad and it was riding great. Drove around for at least 2 hours no problems. It got cold so we headed back to the truck and trailer. Only going about 15mph, then maybe 100' from the truck it dies. Like someone turned the key or switch off dies. Go to restart it and the motor spins really quick, no fire. Sounds like there is no compression at all. Popped the seat real quick and the spark plug was still in. There was no loud pop or crack or anything like that. Engine only has 25 hours on it. My dealership doesn't open til Tuesday morning. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear this but very fortunate to be so close to the truck when it happened. I'm curious to find out what it turns out to be.

Do you hear the fuel pump running?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me too. This motor impresses me everytime I ride it. Just not today. Really fortunate I didn't have a several mile walk in the snow back to my truck.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hmmm, have you checked the ETC gap yet? Being as new as it is, maybe the issue. When you say the motor spins real fast, do you mean like it sounds like there's no resistance to the starting turning the fly wheel? Do you get any air coming out of the exhaust if you put your hand over it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
"Bad Day"

Where is the moment we needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces every time
And I don't need no carryin' on

Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No compression if you put hand over exhaust.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Not good at all. If its under warranty, let the dealer handle it before you crack anything open so they don't try to deny warranty work.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not good at all. If its under warranty, let the dealer handle it before you crack anything open so they don't try to deny warranty work.
I'm not even pulling the spark plug out. I hope it's not too bad. It should be warranty no question but I have insurance to cover it if not. Just blows me away that I was just putting along. Not pushing it crazy hard or anything.

·
Registered
243 Posts
sounds like cam shaft chain?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dropped off the ol' girl at the shop this morning. Battery is fully dead now too. The key was not on. Hope to hear some good news shortly.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Keep us posted. Hopefully something simple and they don't give ya any grief...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
wow, not cool at all, hope its something simple, and or covered under warranty!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
This.

If it's turning over really fast, chances are it popped the chain or the timing jumped.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This.

If it's turning over really fast, chances are it popped the chain or the timing jumped.
X3... OP said couldn't feel any exhaust when cranking. Valve train is def out of time or not workin at all. Just wondering what the culprit is...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts