Polaris ATV Forum banner

570 had a bad day

16K views 65 replies 26 participants last post by  whtrapta 
#1 ·
I went down to chadwick mo for some snowy riding. Unloaded the quad and it was riding great. Drove around for at least 2 hours no problems. It got cold so we headed back to the truck and trailer. Only going about 15mph, then maybe 100' from the truck it dies. Like someone turned the key or switch off dies. Go to restart it and the motor spins really quick, no fire. Sounds like there is no compression at all. Popped the seat real quick and the spark plug was still in. There was no loud pop or crack or anything like that. Engine only has 25 hours on it. My dealership doesn't open til Tuesday morning. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Wow, sorry to hear this but very fortunate to be so close to the truck when it happened. I'm curious to find out what it turns out to be.

Do you hear the fuel pump running?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Me too. This motor impresses me everytime I ride it. Just not today. Really fortunate I didn't have a several mile walk in the snow back to my truck.

#5 ·
Hmmm, have you checked the ETC gap yet? Being as new as it is, maybe the issue. When you say the motor spins real fast, do you mean like it sounds like there's no resistance to the starting turning the fly wheel? Do you get any air coming out of the exhaust if you put your hand over it?

#7 ·
"Bad Day"

Where is the moment we needed the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on

You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You're faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life's been way off line
You're falling to pieces every time
And I don't need no carryin' on

Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

#8 ·
No compression if you put hand over exhaust.

#13 ·
I'm not even pulling the spark plug out. I hope it's not too bad. It should be warranty no question but I have insurance to cover it if not. Just blows me away that I was just putting along. Not pushing it crazy hard or anything.

#19 ·
This.

If it's turning over really fast, chances are it popped the chain or the timing jumped.

#16 ·
Dropped off the ol' girl at the shop this morning. Battery is fully dead now too. The key was not on. Hope to hear some good news shortly.

#17 ·
Keep us posted. Hopefully something simple and they don't give ya any grief...

#18 ·
wow, not cool at all, hope its something simple, and or covered under warranty!

#22 ·
It's funny in a situation like this everyone is like I (hope) it's covered under warranty.
It better be covered under warranty. I've never heard so many problems with warranty issues being not covered even on factory warranty. No offense to anyone on here but I work at a Ford dealer as a parts manager and if any of the 3 big denied warranty for some of the small stuff that Polaris does their would be a lot of law suits out there. I mean does Polaris really not stand behind their products? I hear everyone on here point fingers right away of owners abuse before even knowing the person or how it's riding. I live in MT and if you guys seen some of the farmers and ranchers trucks that come through the door with 10000 miles on them and ford warranties it no problem. I know some of you are going to jump all over me for this comment but truth is I don't believe I will ever own another Polaris just cause of the stories I ALWAYS read on here. Ball joints, bushings, front diffs,ect. Every one has problems but I have beat the shit out of my outlander and never was questioned about anything under warranty and everything has held up great.

#23 ·
I agree. This is my first Polaris, hopefully not my last though.... It does sound like Polaris is a prick about warranty work from some things ya read here. I also think it does seem to vary among dealers too. These are off-road machines that are going to see some level of abuse, Polaris should be well aware of this and either stand behind their product or kindly get out of my way. Customer support after the big check has been written speaks volumes about a company. I hope I do not need any warranty work period, but if I do, hopefully I don't have a bad experience or I'll sell the quad Friday and be on a competitors product by Monday.

#24 ·
I too am management at a ford dealership. I know from past experience, its ultimately up to the dealership if they want to do the work that is warrantied as a warranty or not. Thats the problem. Everyone knows a bad dealership whether it be cars, atvs, whatever, somewhere.

#46 ·
Exactly this!!

Glad they know what it is and are willing to make it right.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

#25 ·
OK.
I just did my oil change before my ride that broke down. I put a new oil filter and used Royal Purple synthetic 0-40 oil.
They opened the motor up this morning. The chain tensioner is broken, the chain is snapped, and a few other small things broke. Minor repairs. They dont think the oil would have been the cause for it, but recommend i use PS-4 while im under warranty just for things like this. All covered under warranty except 2 quarts of oil.

#26 ·
Damn. Well it's good they're fixing. They can keep the PS-4 though. Only thing they could say is that it wasn't the correct weight.

#27 ·
I would have told them it is PS-4. If they didn't believe you they would have to have it tested at POPO expense.

POPO is a prick when it comes to warrinties. I have been down the road numerous times with them over my 550 and it is like talking to a bunch of kids on a hay ride. I would bet my left you know what they have a book they read out of because every time i would talk to them it was the same excuse for whatever broke. You would be shocked at some of the things they said when they denied it. The only reason I never got mad was because i was laughing so hard when they told me the reason.

Ronnie

#55 ·
I would have told them it is PS-4. If they didn't believe you they would have to have it tested at POPO expense.
Bad idea.........you can EASILY tell the difference in the oils visually!

#28 ·
Ronnie, I believe the OP changed his oil to Royal Purple before it broke. The purple color would've gave it away it wasn't PS-4. I was thinking the same thing though.... What they don't know, won't hurt them :veryhappy:

#29 ·
exactly. I guess the gear oil in these is also purple, and they were concerned that either the motor blew a hole somewhere internal and it leaked or I put gear oil in the motor.

#31 ·
Not using ps-4 caused the chain tensioner to go? That seems logical!! (Kidding)

Polaris warranty is a joke. Sucks having a 2014 have serious motor failure before 2014 tho lol. Maybe its just a freakthing like bobd2's.

#32 ·
No, they just recommend using polaris oil so the warranty people can't use that against me. The dealer doesn't give a crap what oil I put in. They prefer it be the wrong one, brings them more business lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.