Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to mod the exhaust...... Sounds nice and deep.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I haven't had a chance to ride yet. Just finished it and fired it up. Seems to rev a lil quicker/ more free. I might get some ride time in Sunday. I'll post up my butt dyno results lol

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If Polaris has the same restricted intake on these the 500's had, it looks like there are some substantial gains to be had with the intake and exhaust. Here's what I mean......

·
Registered
26 Posts
how did this turn out?good results ?

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
any sound videos?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Vandal. Sorry no sound vids. I did however take one on my iPhone and it really doesn't sound like it does in person, almost sounds like it's running under water lol. So I never posted it. But it's comparable to a performance 4 stroke sport quad tone. As far a performance, it seems to rev a bit quicker/easier, if ya know what I mean. I know it will hit rev limiter easier. I'm happy with it for the little bit of time and material it took.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i did the same mod to my 500 yours looks a little cleaner i cant say forsure if i noticed any performance gains but the sound is pretty good not overly loud could be a tad deeper what you think on your 570??

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This didn't bypass the SA. I just simply cut the end cap and left all baffles in. Sounds good, nice an throaty but not overly annoying.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Interesting... For the woods, I am not as much interested in sound. In fact, it is nice to not piss off park rangers or other folks... but for performance, I would do a mod.

The question that I have, is that if you mod the airbox and exhaust enough that it actually impacts flow, to the degree that significant gains can be had, then it probably also changes flow enough that you would need to adjust fueling. Even a 3-4hp increase, is a 10% shift in power, and you will probably be running pretty lean, no?

EPA emissions standards has most modern motors running borderline lean from the factory, so a significant change in intake and exhaust is gonna give you a pretty lean AFR, which will make the motor run hotter, maybe give you some lean surging and constant throttle... if it is bad enough, engine damage can occur.

At the very least, it might sound better but perform worse than stock, no?

Anyone test it and see what the actual results were?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The stock air box/ intake is very restrictive on the 570.no foubt theres more performance to be had by improving it.you can see how much it flexes when you rev it up.hence the accordion style boot. No doubt a fuel programmer would be needed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well, I did the exhaust and it does sound great. On the 570, there are actually two steel plates on the end that you have to drill through with a 2.5" hole saw. Then you are looking right into the baffles. I had a piece of pipe sitting around that was almost perfect to slip in there to create a new exhaust tip. It sounded better with the tip. It barely fit, I had to really work it in there with a hammer. Now I just have to tack weld it, or JB Weld, and spray paint the whole thing with matte black hi temp grill paint.

On the intake end, there is no real mod to be done there, unless you want to eliminate the snorkel or put holes in the top of the box. The area where the snorkel meets the lid, there is no extra material to remove and open up there. They must have changed it on this bike, or maybe for 2014 for other models as well.

So at this point all that I was able to do was open up the exhaust a bit. It does sound good, but I don't know if any performance gains are to be had. Will need to give it a ride and find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
did the same mods to my 2002 500ho took and gutted the exhaust and cut down the air box the exhaust was where you will fell power gains did not notice much cutting hole in the cover:yel:

·
Registered
483 Posts
did the same mods to my 2002 500ho took and gutted the exhaust and cut down the air box the exhaust was where you will fell power gains did not notice much cutting hole in the cover:yel:
I wish that someone had access to a dyno to test if the gains are real, or placebo...

The reason that I ask, is that if modding the exhaust impacts the flow of gas enough that it gives a real and noticeable power gain, then it also changes the flow enough that the fueling would have to change significantly... Usually leaning things out.

So unless the quad was running really rich in its stock state, and now with the modded exhaust it flows better and leans it out to a more optimal air fuel ratio... I don't see how they could get a real bump in power from the exhaust alone...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I wish that someone had access to a dyno to test if the gains are real, or placebo...

The reason that I ask, is that if modding the exhaust impacts the flow of gas enough that it gives a real and noticeable power gain, then it also changes the flow enough that the fueling would have to change significantly... Usually leaning things out.

So unless the quad was running really rich in its stock state, and now with the modded exhaust it flows better and leans it out to a more optimal air fuel ratio... I don't see how they could get a real bump in power from the exhaust alone...
Some Polaris are known to run rich stock, just got to see if the 570 is one of them. Suprised there hasn't been more research into this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts