Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about how horse power loss and how it really works? I live at 6000 ft and do most of my riding any where from 7500 ft to 13000 ft above see level how much horse power loss do I have and should I go with an 850 over 570. Can I get away with a 570?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
A newer machine with EFI is just like your car. The computer makes adjustments for the altitude so you shouldn't lose anything.

·
Super Moderator
7,004 Posts
A newer machine with EFI is just like your car. The computer makes adjustments for the altitude so you shouldn't lose anything.
I wish that were true. lol The computer adjust your fuel/air ratio for altitude. There is no way to avoid HP loss at altitude. You lose roughly 3% for every 1,000' of altitude gain. Turbo/super chargers are the only real ways to regain lost power, but even they will make less power at altitude than they will at sea level. Impossible to avoid. Less air = less power.
Turk2421, the 570 does just fine at altitude. Surprising little difference between the 850 and the 570, unless drag racing and top speed are what you are looking for. As for trail performance, they are pretty much equal. I've put a lot of miles on both at the same altitudes you are riding, and the 570 gives up virtually nothing to the 850 on the trails, other than the awesome exhaust tone of the 850. :)
I know this is a very unpopular statement with all the 850 owners on here (I know, I used to be one, and felt the same) but it is the truth. My wife bought her 570 while I still had my 850. I would jump back and forth between the two when we were out riding in order to compare them in equal conditions. My 850 is gone, and we both own 570's now.....

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Bob is right, gonna happen unless you add a turbo or blower to get extra air in.......and a tuner for extra fuel to go with it. I believe that for our purposes, the loss of power would be minimal. Otherwise no one would ride at altitude.....You can always tune the clutch to get whatever you lose back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts