Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My 570 sometimes will stop turning over when it builds up compression and I have to "jog" the key 5 or 6 times to make it finish cranking over. Original battery(2015), topped off with distilled water but still does it occasionally. I'm thinking of upgrading the battery to something with more CCA. here's a video from YouTube of what is happening. Let me know what you guys think

·
8,733 Posts
Hmm...Could be battery or starter. You can load test the battery at most auto parts stores.
Have you checked charging?
Should have around 14.5 at 2500 RPM.
You can test starter by using booster cables to put 12v directly to the terminal.
If all is good with battery and starter, you may have to look at the decompression assembly.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That's going to be battery, make sure the battery cable ends are clean. upgrade to an AGM battery.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Believe it or not, the polaris tech at my dealer tells me that this is "a 570 thing." When the engine stops in the compression stroke near top dead center, the battery doesn't have enough amps to muscle through the compression.

I went and bought a new sealed battery (better CCA, too) for my new wheeler with only 200 something miles on it, and when I got to the shop the old battery tested fine and when I expressed my sincere disbelief at the entire thing, the tech pulled out that gemstone for me.

I told him, and anyone at Polaris that cares to listen that hearing that about my $10K sportsman was not very comforting.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and it happened to me again while out in the woods, a long walk to the nearest road. I bumped it a half dozen times until it finally fired and boy was I worried. Has been fine since, though. I rode it the past couple weekends with no issue.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Try holding the throttle wide open, then cranking and see if that makes it crank over better - if not, new battery
Even with electronic fuel injection? Is this something that the computer reads?
computer will not read that, not sure if they have crank position failure code but it is possible for that to come up it may sense to quick of count if it pops backwards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2017 Sportsman 570 does the exact same thing. I got it with 43 miles on it and thought it needed a new battery. Replaced battery with a gel 220 CCA. I read about regulator/rectifier issues and the dealer said there had been a lot of problems. Replaced the reg/rec and still have the same situation! I will not buy another Polaris.
Does anyone have a fix for this?

·
Registered
524 Posts
My 2017 Sportsman 570 does the exact same thing. I got it with 43 miles on it and thought it needed a new battery. Replaced battery with a gel 220 CCA. I read about regulator/rectifier issues and the dealer said there had been a lot of problems. Replaced the reg/rec and still have the same situation! I will not buy another Polaris.
Does anyone have a fix for this?
What brand rectifier to you replace it with?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased it from MotorGenic. I do not think it has anything to do with the regulator/rectifier now. I read on another thread that a Polaris dealer said this was a "570 thing". When the engine stops in the compression stroke near the top dead center, the battery doesn't have enough amps to muscle through the compression. Going to add a 420 CCA battery to see if that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a multi-meter on the battery while it was idling. It was charging around 14.5 volts so felt it was working properly. Someone told me the reg/ret could have a short which could drain the battery. That was why I changed it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I replaced the battery with one with 420 CCA. Still has the same problem. I am ready to set this thing on fire!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Inspect the auto decompressor - I suspect it is not opening the exhaust valve on the first stroke and excessive valve clearance will exacerbate the problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts