Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time Polaris owner and new to this forum. I have a 2014 Sportsman 570 efi (camo) that was purchased in November 2013.

Heres the issue........

On Wednesday I loaded my quad into the bed of my truck around 5pm. It sat all night with temps around 30. It was unloaded on Thursday at camp at approximately 5pm and let it run about 30 minutes. Wind chills Thursday night and Friday were in 0- -10 range so no quad riding was done. Saturday morning I started the quad at about 10am after sitting out in sub 0 wind chills for 2 days. It fired right up, as it should and sounded great. I went inside for about 10 minutes and came outside to find my quad completely dead. There was zero power and nothing would turn on. I tested the battery with a voltmeter and it read 12v. Alittle dumb founded I access the fuse box thinking that may be an issue. After 20 minutes of messing with it there is suddenly power on the dash panel so I start it and it fires right up. I get the quad loaded and go to shut it off and it wont turn off, even with the key out and the kill switch on off. I then pull the relay and the quad shuts off. The relay is then replaced and I'm homeward bound. I get home and go to fire up the quad and its completely dead again.:motz:

Im semi mechanically inclined, but this is the first quad I've owned.... Any help is appreciated. (I did read the other forum about problems starting when cold, but my problem appears to be different)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yet another 570 with cold weather starting/operating issues. POLARIS IF YOU ARE VIEWING THESE THREADS REMEDY THE COLD WEATHER OPERATION ISSUES WITH THE 570

cw, there are numerous accounts of issues with the 570 and cold weather. Members on the forum, other internet sources, and several local instances are enough IMO to confirm that there is indeed an issue Polaris needs to figure out. Since its stamped in most peoples heads that EFI is better for cold weather operation than carbs, the fact that the 570 can't handle the cold seems to render one of the main reasons for people to choose it (for the efi) redundant. Don't get me wrong they have a great thing with the 570 but there are bugs that need to be worked out.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I wish I would have researched this model alittle more before buying. A few close friends that have had polaris ATV's for 10+ years vouched for them and said you can't go wrong.......yet to be determined! Is this an issue that works itself out when its warm (sitting in my garage) or should I be dropping this at the dealer on monday?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Id see what it does when warm just out of curiosity, but would take it to a dealer regardless. Don't regret your decision the 570 is s fantastic machine. A solution will come along.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I read on a razor forum abouy problems with the plug in the dash. I wonder if this is a similar issue and could be affecting you and me. Mine migjt be a bad contact to the fuel pump relay and yours a bad contact to the ignition
Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will keep everyone updated. The dealer I go to is a small, local, family place that is fair, so I trust them (as much as you can a dealer). GJ I read those forums as well, but I can't really start taking things apart, as it is still in the bed of my truck and will remain there until it rolls off at the dealer tomorrow morning! I was thinking that something may have frozen and caused a short of some sort in the ignition switch. I hope its something simple, but not naive enough to believe it is. I'm not losing faith in my machine, because when its running its unbelievable. I previously had been riding an 03 sportsman 500 and its night and day!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Man mine just did it to. I thought I lucked out and got a good 1, but I was just out playing in the snow and I turned it off went inside for about 15 min and came out and tried to start it and nothing!!!! Played around with it for a min or 2 and the lights finally came on and it fired right up. I am soo mad right now!!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ Sorry to hear. Your definitely NOT alone on the issue....

·
Registered
944 Posts
This whole thing is weird. Efi should start easily in the cold and any simple electrical issues, well popo should have that figured out by now.

Hopefully, it's something simple for all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This whole thing is weird. Efi should start easily in the cold and any simple electrical issues, well popo should have that figured out by now.

Hopefully, it's something simple for all.
It's a bad connection or short. It doesn't struggle to start when it works right and it runs fine. But sometimes you'll go to fire it up and it's like the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well dropped it off at the dealer amidst what they are calling a "flash freeze" in the Pittsburgh area with wind chills expected to be at -30. The service guy seemed surprised by what I was telling him about my quad. I inquired as to how many others have been having the same issues and he stated I was the first one. I informed him this an issue that lots of people were having and he reassured me they will figure it out and not to worry. We shall see.........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well dropped it off at the dealer amidst what they are calling a "flash freeze" in the Pittsburgh area with wind chills expected to be at -30. The service guy seemed surprised by what I was telling him about my quad. I inquired as to how many others have been having the same issues and he stated I was the first one. I informed him this an issue that lots of people were having and he reassured me they will figure it out and not to worry. We shall see.........
So did they not even check it? Did you leave it or just take it home?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It was left at the dealer. He came out and messed around with the kill switch and said something must have broke in the switch. My understanding is the whole ignition/kill switch is one circuit, so if the kill switch is broken, that could cause the quad not to shut off and/or cause it not start (since it may be stuck in off mode).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well my dealer is closed on Mondays. So I am going to call mine tomorrow and see if they know anything about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok so I have been calling around to different polaris dealers and 1 of them told me they have had a similar problem and it was the negative battery cable. He said follow the negative cable and it bolts to the motor. Check that bolt and make sure it's tight. I'm at work and havnt got a chance to look at mine yet but figured I'd pass on the info. Let me know if that helps anyone.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mine hasn't failed to start yet , but I'll check when I get home. High today is 10f. Problem mine has is it misses when cold and stumbles until it's warmed up. EFI shouldn't do this.

·
Registered
777 Posts
9 degrees and started no problem. I only have 6 hours or so on it so far. I'm hoping it will straighten out after a couple tanks of fuel. Maybe the fuel in it from the dealer was getting stale. I stopped and filled it up on the way home. 93 non-ethanol.

·
Registered
944 Posts
T, keep us posted how it starts in the cold with the 93 octane. One guy posted a while back that MAYBE the higher octane was a problem due to it's higher flash point.

Who knows ?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts