Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m ordering new springs all around for ‘17 570. I watched a video on YouTube where guy is changing spring with strut still connected at bottom and he is just pushing spring down and threading top nut on by hand. Is it really that easy or do you have to compress spring another way?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
keep us posted plz, i bought some Highlifter front springs but have not put them on yet, was also thinking of doing it like u mentioned.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
keep us posted plz, i bought some Highlifter front springs but have not put them on yet, was also thinking of doing it like u mentioned.
What color are they? Picture on site looks almost like a stainless steel look. Obviously they’re not. Some have described them as being yellow.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
these front springs are silver, in the past they were always yellow,

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered all four. Tech at Highlifter said doing like video might be possible with OE spring(55-90 lbs.) but probably not with these HD springs. He suggested taking them out. Sportsmandan I’m thinking of buying these and still replacing springs with strut still connected at bottom. What do you think? BTW-they said the silver color is powder coated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
When I replaced all 4 OEM springs on my old 800 with HD Highlifter Springs, I just used 2 small ratchet straps 180 degrees from one another and compressed the spring for install. Yes it will pop when released after you have all mounting hardware secured, but it worked very well.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Just ordered all four. Tech at Highlifter said doing like video might be possible with OE spring(55-90 lbs.) but probably not with these HD springs. He suggested taking them out. Sportsmandan I’m thinking of buying these and still replacing springs with strut still connected at bottom. What do you think? BTW-they said the silver color is powder coated.
i've seen quite a few vids of people doing coil swap with shock still on quad, i did it once with ratchet straps but shock was off, the compressors u posted should work well as long as theres enought room which there should be, our 570 is not in main garage so can't look right now. Its very good quality coating on coils, i could not dig in it with screwdriver, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if they’ve updated these springs since 2015? Was just reading through and old post where some were saying Highlifter sold an adapter for them used at spring top.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I wonder if they’ve updated these springs since 2015? Was just reading through and old post where some were saying Highlifter sold an adapter for them used at spring top.
Yes Polman posted a link a while back , looked like quality part ,it was not a Highlifter item if i remember correctly tho, hopefully he sees this and posts it again , 😝

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
???? So you buy the spring that’s made for your specific bike and then have to buy an adapter to make it fit? Would have been nice if tech explained that before I ordered them. I would’ve just ordered EPI springs. This is from their site, it makes no sense. At top it says it’s needed for 2011-2019 Sportsman’s and then if you read summary it says 2011-2014 Sportsman’s. I’ll be calling them first thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
???? So you buy the spring that’s made for your specific bike and then have to buy an adapter to make it fit? Would have been nice if tech explained that before I ordered them. I would’ve just ordered EPI springs. This is from their site, it makes no sense. At top it says it’s needed for 2011-2019 Sportsman’s and then if you read summary it says 2011-2014 Sportsman’s. I’ll be calling them first thing.
thats is not what i thought u were looking at , the collar im referring too is added to stock coil, its a adjustable spacer collar similar to the rear shock collar.
I suppose it could fit with a aftermarket coil.
let me try and find the link.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just to follow up, Highlifter front and rear springs are on their way. They also are sending the 2 rear adapters. Got everything @ 25% off, so altogether was about $210.00. Should be able to do front springs with struts still connected at bottom. Won’t be doing till coming “Spring”. Thanks again Sportsmandan, will try and give you update on installation then.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I recently installed new EPI springs front, and back on my '15 570.

The front ones were very easy. I used my cordless impact to remove the nut on top of the strut, swap spring, and reinstall.

I thought it was going to be a major deal to pull the front plastic but it wasn't bad at all. I didn't actually remove it. Just removed the fasteners and shifted it as needed to pull off each strut.

The rear shocks were more difficult. I tried using ratchet straps but didn't have much luck. I ended up buying some cheap spring compressors off Amazon. Once I had those, it went very easy.

All ths bushings front, and back were bad. Check while you are in there

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I recently installed new EPI springs front, and back on my '15 570.

The front ones were very easy. I used my cordless impact to remove the nut on top of the strut, swap spring, and reinstall.

I thought it was going to be a major deal to pull the front plastic but it wasn't bad at all. I didn't actually remove it. Just removed the fasteners and shifted it as needed to pull off each strut.

The rear shocks were more difficult. I tried using ratchet straps but didn't have much luck. I ended up buying some cheap spring compressors off Amazon. Once I had those, it went very easy.

All ths bushings front, and back were bad. Check while you are in there

Thanks Mike. Did you have to compress front springs? What tool in particular did you buy on Amazon?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did not need to compress the front springs. Just loosen the top nut. When reassembling, I had no issue getting the nut started. I used a light duty cordless impact.

This is the compressor I bought.
ABN 11.5in Strut Spring Compressor Tool - Set of 2 (Pair) - Macpherson Spring Compression, 13/16in Socket 1/2in Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SX5RSA4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_BzdS31pMLyIz8

It's a little big for the job. The part that engages the springs were a bit tight to fit between the coils. A smaller unit would be better for this job but, it worked fine and can be used on some larger projects I. The future.

I tried using ratchet straps to compress the spring. They kept walking down the spring, bending the spring, etc..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts