Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'd pick the 570 all day new or used. Having to stop and lock your front diff on the Grizz will be a pain in the ass. When I want 4x4, they ALL better damn lock in!

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have a Race with my brothers 2014 Grizzly 700 SE, stock vs stock, pulled him off the line by a quad and a half and at approximately 1000ft we ran out of room, and he was right beside me, he would have probably gradually passed me in the long run, but i was pretty impressed with my 570!

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
i have a Race with my brothers 2014 Grizzly 700 SE, stock vs stock, pulled him off the line by a quad and a half and at approximately 1000ft we ran out of room, and he was right beside me, he would have probably gradually passed me in the long run, but i was pretty impressed with my 570!
That is pretty impressive, my riding buddy on his stock 14 700 grizz walks my 550 like I'm going backwards, it's literally a knife to a gun fight.

As for the big issue guys have with having to lock the front diff in, propaganda. Friend with his king quad and the buddy with the grizz go the same places I go without issues, and that's even if they stop to lock in the front diff...or not. So at this point I'm not sold at all on the "on demand" system and locked front diff. Typically if I know I'm going into some shit, I will have stopped prior anyhow to survey the scene, and while I'm stopped...it's not that big of a deal to flip a lever and push a button LMFAO!!! So tell yourself that but the reality is a different story.

Benefit to the other systems, when they select 4wd Lock, it's 4WD lock all the time, not a wait for tires to slip and then kick it in, and there are times a split second of traction can make a difference. So to me at this point, not a selling point at all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have always been anti-polaris after riding with a few buddies with 05-06 500 and 700's with all the bearing, bushing issues, a blown 700 motor, a seized 500efi (vent line froze to crankcase and blew plastic oil reservoir to smithereens, and we know what happened after that, lol), constant overheating, blowing belts, axle boots torn, etc, etc, etc. I didn't like the snowmobile engaging clutch, one thing that bothered me was the auto/wheel slipping 4wd engagement, if i want 3 or 4 wheels to engage, i want to engage and disengage them when and how i want to!. But after getting back into the game after 5 years out of the sport and reading/researching everything out the ting-yang i really liked the changes polaris made to the newer models like rad up high, wet sump (sporty) 4 valve motor, and by far the best performance per dollar i decided to take a chance and learn to live with some of the other shortcomings (in my mind, lol) I have to say after owning my new 570, i am thoroughly impressed with the overall package! The 4wd system works flawlessly and although its kinda minor, it is nice and convenient to flip in and out of 4wd at speed without even thinking about it, although this thing gets me through almost everything in 2wd anyways. I haven't had and 570 issues as of yet, IE heat, but i wrapped my exhaust early just in case. If there was one thing that i could say about it negative, it would be the decell clutch noises. Before i got it on the trailer at the dealership it was making this awful noise like a metal toolbox full of wrenches rolling down a hill (well maybe I'm exaggerating) lol. I asked the owner/sales guy whats wrong? he replied, "don't worry, thats normal, it won't hurt anything, they all do that" Exact words!!! If i were the CEO of Polaris i would have a the engineers find a solution to this, if nothing else for public perception even if it doesn't hurt anything. It would be worth the lost profit to put ebs on every single model if it gets rid of the noise just so every potential buyer doesn't here that and think "wow, I'm never buying one of those" lol. Anyway, overall, very happy with my 570 purchase, its quality and it especially its performance, I came from a 700 Kawasaki twin and was willing to give up a little rocketness...but i didn't have to!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a sportsman 500 HO 2012, I'm happy with the ride and overall performance. I do however have several issues, like random noises from the transmission, plastic gears, low quality CB shafts, no 4X4 lock, and terrible rack system. Other than that, it's a pretty good machine for trail riding but I tend to use mine for more of a trail ride/work machine for around my cabin.

I've ridden both the 500 HO and the grizzly 700 and I can tell you if I had my time back I would have waited and gotten the 700 over the 500 HO. But getting it for $5000 in 2013 was hard to turn down! All around I figure Yamaha is a much better quality product and as far as the 570 is concerned I wouldn't even look at it as my next off road machine with all the problems that have arisen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Clutch noise.... Geeze, try putting snorkels' on and hear it sing!!!!!! I love my 570, heat issues and all. The locked front diff is a true loc, with the hubs engaging electrically and the 4 wheel engagement set to a fraction of a rear wheel turn, like maybe 1/5th of a wheel spin before they engage. The 4-wheel system is mechanical, the hubs are electrical. its neat that both wheels up front will turn, not just the one in the air... LOL. Never drove a grizzly so don't have an opinion there. With a mudder clutch, lift, HD springs, HD axles, its a hoot to blast out of the hole riding a wheelie.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a sportsman 500 HO 2012, I'm happy with the ride and overall performance. I do however have several issues, like random noises from the transmission, plastic gears, low quality CB shafts, no 4X4 lock, and terrible rack system. Other than that, it's a pretty good machine for trail riding but I tend to use mine for more of a trail ride/work machine for around my cabin.

I've ridden both the 500 HO and the grizzly 700 and I can tell you if I had my time back I would have waited and gotten the 700 over the 500 HO. But getting it for $5000 in 2013 was hard to turn down! All around I figure Yamaha is a much better quality product and as far as the 570 is concerned I wouldn't even look at it as my next off road machine with all the problems that have arisen.

I'll agree with you on the lousy racks and noisy transmission even though it works fine. Other than that, you don't know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To the OP, I would go Grizzly if price isn't a concern, as they are ridiculously overpriced. The 570 is night and day over the 500, I find it hard to believe that any would dispute that..I've owned a 450, 500 EFI, and now my 570, and this machine is much more powerful.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just traded my 2011 Grizzly 700 for a 2015 570. So far I am impressed with the power of it, I wasn't expecting it. This is my third Polaris, I've owned an '09 Sportsman 500 and currently own a '14 Ranger 800. I've owned two Yamahas, an '05 Rhino 660 and the '11 Grizzly. Yes, Yamaha requires less frequent maintenance, but when it does its a real pain in the ass. Polaris is simple and easy, or at least my experience has been.

I'll update this as I get more time on my 570, I just got it two days ago. My 570 was thousands less than what I paid for my Grizzly in Dec of 2010 also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
had a 700 grizzly and didnt like it the 570 has more get up and go and i would never go back to one ... 570 starts great in cold use it to plow snow started other day at -9 sitting outside

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've got thousands of hours operating the 700 Grizzly (more than one actually) and I'd say its a pretty strong, long lasting machine. I'd certainly buy one. I can not coment on the Pol 570.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As much as i hate to say it if it werent for a good dealer and the extended warranty I probably wouldnt consider the polaris. Not ready to cast too many stones at the 570 just yet though. I noticed the comments on vibration and hard/no starts, but figured any first year model is likely to have a couple things. Based off the 500 chassis and the prostar seems to have a good reputation in the rzr doesnt it? Should be a good formula I hope.
First year model? The 570 has been round awhile. That’s what you were talking about right? Not looking to start argument. I assume from the feedback over the last 4 year models since I purchased my 570 SP in 16’, it appears that the base design is the same 570 design with “improvements” added every year or so (they addressed some heat issues, etc) I wouldn’t sweat “having issues” too much...The crap battery has been an issue for awhile. Just figure on getting a decent aftermarket battery with good tightening hardware (a couple of star washers go a long way). I kept my orig battery for a little over 2 years before it starting becoming a problem (always kept it on battery tender if machine sat for extended periods of time or if I knew it was going to get real cold) The battery problems I encountered and also on my buddy’s 2 machines where the machines were having trouble starting mostly revolving around the cable terminal fastening hardware coming loose because lock washers or star washers were never used...something as simple as a not tight cables could cause all sorts of symptoms that leads you to think there is something wrong with the battery or charging system. A couple of stainless star washers, periodic cable tightness check, and a “tended battery” and you should be A-ok.
Every brand is usually excellent/specializes in certain things when it comes to the particulars (rider comfort, maximizing output, suspension, longevity, etc) and has issues with a few other things (just like car/truck manufacturers). It’s all about personal preference, aesthetics, and other people’s reviews until you get it on the trail. Unless you have a buddy that buys one first...let him be the guinea pig tester...and purchase based on that. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor that bought 2 Polaris’s back in 16’ (a 450 and a 570) before I did, so I was able to try both. I rode both...and definitely liked the 570 better...and bought mine the following month....stepping it up a notch by going with the SP model (upgraded suspension basically).
Honestly, if you are a somewhat handy guy and have some basic tools kicking around the garage (with exception to clutch pullers/tools), most of the basic upgrades you can do yourself. Between shock replacement, bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, clutches, fuel programmer, slip on exhausts, lift kits..it’s not that difficult. I rode basically stock until warranty was up and started doing a little something to the machine every year (this year being the exception where I went a little crazy and did quite a bit)

good luck with your choice. Either way, happy riding!

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
First year model? The 570 has been round awhile. That’s what you were talking about right? Not looking to start argument. I assume from the feedback over the last 4 year models since I purchased my 570 SP in 16’, it appears that the base design is the same 570 design with “improvements” added every year or so (they addressed some heat issues, etc) I wouldn’t sweat “having issues” too much...The crap battery has been an issue for awhile. Just figure on getting a decent aftermarket battery with good tightening hardware (a couple of star washers go a long way). I kept my orig battery for a little over 2 years before it starting becoming a problem (always kept it on battery tender if machine sat for extended periods of time or if I knew it was going to get real cold) The battery problems I encountered and also on my buddy’s 2 machines where the machines were having trouble starting mostly revolving around the cable terminal fastening hardware coming loose because lock washers or star washers were never used...something as simple as a not tight cables could cause all sorts of symptoms that leads you to think there is something wrong with the battery or charging system. A couple of stainless star washers, periodic cable tightness check, and a “tended battery” and you should be A-ok.
Every brand is usually excellent/specializes in certain things when it comes to the particulars (rider comfort, maximizing output, suspension, longevity, etc) and has issues with a few other things (just like car/truck manufacturers). It’s all about personal preference, aesthetics, and other people’s reviews until you get it on the trail. Unless you have a buddy that buys one first...let him be the guinea pig tester...and purchase based on that. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor that bought 2 Polaris’s back in 16’ (a 450 and a 570) before I did, so I was able to try both. I rode both...and definitely liked the 570 better...and bought mine the following month....stepping it up a notch by going with the SP model (upgraded suspension basically).
Honestly, if you are a somewhat handy guy and have some basic tools kicking around the garage (with exception to clutch pullers/tools), most of the basic upgrades you can do yourself. Between shock replacement, bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, clutches, fuel programmer, slip on exhausts, lift kits..it’s not that difficult. I rode basically stock until warranty was up and started doing a little something to the machine every year (this year being the exception where I went a little crazy and did quite a bit)

good luck with your choice. Either way, happy riding!
Hey buddy you realize you're quoting a post from SEVEN calendar years ago???????????????????

So yes I would gather he's talking first year model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts