Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my quad in sept. It has ran fine all fall while hunting and everything. I took it up north couple days ago in a snow storm to go ice fishing. The wheelers got all full of snow on the 2hr drive but started right up. I let it warm up while we got bait and all (i'd say it ran for 15min) before unloading it and when I hit the throttle it died. started right back up and idle fine. touch the throttle and dye...and i notice when i touch the throttle the engine light came on. i do this a couple of times and always the same result. only way i could get it back on the trailer is to feather the throttle and that barely worked. Had to ride out on the back of my buddies yamaha....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
^^^ That's in the throttle housing. It's basically a WOT stick safety switch.

But it should still be under the 6 months of factory warrenty.... take it in and have it checked out. Ask nice and I bet they'll let you watch (if your into that :D), so you know how to do it next time!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I bought my quad in sept. It has ran fine all fall while hunting and everything. I took it up north couple days ago in a snow storm to go ice fishing. The wheelers got all full of snow on the 2hr drive but started right up. I let it warm up while we got bait and all (i'd say it ran for 15min) before unloading it and when I hit the throttle it died. started right back up and idle fine. touch the throttle and dye...and i notice when i touch the throttle the engine light came on. i do this a couple of times and always the same result. only way i could get it back on the trailer is to feather the throttle and that barely worked. Had to ride out on the back of my buddies yamaha....

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Buy a Yamaha! Lol
Check for codes!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Nah, you guys got it wrong. The 570 comes factory equipped with a fishing gauge. If the fishing is gonna be no good, it won't run. This saves you from wasting your time.

Carry on.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Nah, you guys got it wrong. The 570 comes factory equipped with a fishing gauge. If the fishing is gonna be no good, it won't run. This saves you from wasting your time.

Carry on.
LOL......

To the OP how cold was it outside?

And NOOOOOO Yamaha (jk they make great machines) my Polaris pops right off even when the temp dips below zero. This is sort of discouraging now as my father was looking at purchasing a 570 for the EFI to take ice fishing (he needs something he can just turn the key and go) lets us know if you find out what was going on. Thank.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
X3 on the ETC.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,053 Posts
Sounds like maybe some ice buildup somewhere between the throttle lever and the throttle body is holding the throttle open and causing the throttle safety switch to kick on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It may be that there is debris in the throttle cable, or that the lube in the cable has just thickened in the cable causing the gap to close and make the atv think the throttle is stuck. Try taking off the end of the cable on the throttle part, and while jiggling the cable spray some WD-40 in the cable.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I would not use WD40.......that crap gums up over time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here is an update.

after i let my wheeler thaw in the garage i went to start it and it started up by die right away and would not start after that.

I took it in to the dealer. They said that the error codes that were showing were for the stuck throttle switch so they adjusted it and put a new plug in cause it fouled the plug through this ordeal (thats why it wouldn't start after). they also flashed the cpu with some new software update. all this was covered under warranty.

part two of the story.

yesterday we make another 2 hour run up to red lake. The night prior i bring my wheeler over to my buddys to load it up and leave in his un heated out building (since I've got it back from the dealer i kept it in my shed. Its been in the negatives all week here). don't have any issues loading it up it seems to be running just fine. The next morning we get to my friends to hook up the trailer and get on the road and he has both my polaris and his yamaha running to be sure were good before we hit the road. said they both started no problem. we get to the lake (-4 all the way up) and like before I go to start it before we get bait and all it does is turn over. i try a number of times and I'm starting to get worried about the battery dieing. By now I'm pretty pissed as my buddies grizzly is purring away next to my brand new 570 that won't start. i go in to pay and take a leak and figure i'll give it another try. and it fires right up like it had been sitting inside the whole time.

about four hours after fishing i gotta run into the resort for a minute and the wheeler pops right off. so now i getting my confidence back in it. we fish four another 2 hours and get our limit so go to start the wheeler and guess what. just turning over and over not even trying to fire. I notice this time that the power steering isn't engaging when i turn the key on (at least that is what i think that noise is). I hadn't noticed this in the morning since there was a wheeler running next to me. so i try turning the key on and off slowly to see if it will make that noise. nothing. I try starting it a couple more times and again i'm thinking the battery is going to die. well then on the next time i hear the power steering engage and when i hit the starter it fires right up.

we're going back to the dealer....I bought the efi so i wouldn't have to worry about it starting in the cold but now i'm wishing i would have bought the 2013 500HO they had sitting there.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The noise you thought to be the power steering was likely the fuel pump.

Sounds like you better carry jumper cables or one of those chargeable jump start devices.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Carry on.
LOL......

To the OP how cold was it outside?

And NOOOOOO Yamaha (jk they make great machines) my Polaris pops right off even when the temp dips below zero. This is sort of discouraging now as my father was looking at purchasing a 570 for the EFI to take ice fishing (he needs something he can just turn the key and go) lets us know if you find out what was going on. Thank.
the first time it was in the teens. very snowy on the road on the way up.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Thanks for the update. Trying to think about what could be going on, i'll ask my bro in law if he has any ideas (he works on Polaris machines)....let us know what the dealership tells ya. Good Luck man!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealer just replied to my email. This is the fuel pump or the relay to the pump or a writing issue. One the I will say is the dealer has been great. Only problem is they're an hour away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
That makes sense since it sounds like its not getting fuel properly. Glad to hear that they have been great to deal with on the situation. A good dealership can be very hard to find these days.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe when its that cold you need to cycle the f.i. a couple of times my 2011 cat would start a lot quicker that way. But it would start even if I didn't cycle it just had to crank it for like 8sec. but that was around 0 f. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 570 EFI is doing the same thing. Here is the low down.

In extreme cold like -15 or below and also pulling down the road when it is cold, I go to start the engine and the fuel pump does not start (you normally hear it for a second pressurizing itself). I then cycle the key 4 or 5 times and then boom there it pressurizes and starts right up. I have taken it to the powerlodge in Brainerd and they have been the most awful dealership to deal with for service. The owner watched that day when I got it up there and saw exactly what it was doing and said not a problem we will have it done in a day or two. Well it has been a week and I call them and they say yep its good to go. Ok what did you guys do then. They have not done anything to it because they said it is working fine (no S*** sherlock it hasnt been cold enough for it to do it yet) I have called into Polaris over the poor service I have received and also talked to a friend that works for polaris. He is thinking it could be a relay.....its prime ice fishing time and I still dont have my four wheeler back....getting very very frustrated

1 - 20 of 67 Posts