Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's 2004 1/2 600 sportsman overheated on our first ride with my new machines! It was working fine, then at the stop, it started boiling the coolant.

We never heard the fan turn on. It was full of coolant, and after it cooled, the engine oil seemed fine (no mixing of coolant and oil).

It looks like their is a sensor in the radiator at the bottom right that connects to something on top (they have a rack, can't remove the top hood part).

Do those go bad? Could we jump the sensor and run the fan full time?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
If you pull the connector off the sensor on the head the fan is supposed to "run wild", meaning continuously. That one quick way to determine if the sensor is bad or the fan.

·
9,429 Posts
If you pull the connector off the sensor on the head the fan is supposed to "run wild", meaning continuously. That one quick way to determine if the sensor is bad or the fan.
I don't think the fan defaults to ON with the early models like the OP has. That feature wasn't added till later year models if I'm not mistaken. You can unplug the connector to the fan switch in the radiator and jump it to make the fan run continuously though.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
My bad polman is more then likely correct!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Two thoughts.

1. Mine was doing that, and I had a bad radiator cap of all things. It would boil over.
2. I noticed this weekend my fan was running all the time, and when I shut it off, I could hear coolant boiling, and it turned out that I had so much crap in the radiator that got past the screen in front of it, that I had to pull the radiator out, and get a pressure washer to clear it all.

I do a lot of "running over stuff" with mine to make trails when I am at the hunting club, which I am sure contributed to all the debris packed into the fins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts