Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Help ,
I am looking at a clean Polaris 2003 600 twin. I drove it yesterday and at low speed when turning it is making clicking noises when you try to turn.
if it is a cv joint do you have to replace the whole axle assembly? How hard is it to change the cv joint and boots. does this take any special tools?
The left rear axle is throwing out grease right behind the wheel assembly.
The seller is asking $4250 with a Polaris 56" v-plow and frame. I thought I would offer him $3,000 as is and fix it myself.
2nd question: I was on a blacktop driveway and when I tried to turn it bucked around when I tried to turn left onto road. The 4 wheel drive switch was off. I turned the switch on & off and then backed the unit up but didn't seem to make any difference. Would that back axle problem make it hard to turn?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds like a lot to me. A friend just bought an '05 with only 100 miles on it for $3,000. It was in perfect condition. Bad front CV joints will make noise and make it hard to steer.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Unless you can pick that 600 up for a steal, like $2500 or less AND are willing to fix it (sounds like the front hubs are locked up & need rebuilt $$$$) I would suggest finding a different atv. If your buying w/ cash see if that dealer would throw in that plow, and winch (and some other goodies?) for that $5700 price maybe?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yeah the 2013 500HO's should be going for $4,999 at the most right now.. and you should be able to get a winch and plow for around $800, so just like Fishhooker says, you should get the whole kit n caboodle for around the $5700.00.

I would not pay more than $2,000 for that 600, sounds like you need about $500 in parts minimum, plus who knows what else is hiding that is wrong with it...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Axles are $100 complete or so off ebay, thecvman has been excellent to me, my 600 right front was bound up bad and my right rear axle is clicking, the rears you can buy just the outer joint, the front the whole axle
Paid $500 for my 600 last spring

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
new 500HO or?

Thanks for the info.
These 4 wheeler stores are expensive and I can do a lot of my own work .
I have pretty much written off the 600 twin as a basket case. I wouldn't mind it if it was just a cv joint or something but I wonder because of all the issues together what stress it may have put on the transfer and tranny system. I don't mind having an old dog but I don't want it to bite me in the rear.
We are close to having winter set in here in Montana and I was hoping to get a snow plow set up before the weather changes but I can always spend $25 bucks and have the drive way plowed if needed.
Maybe if these 4 wheeler stores have to sweep snow off these new units they might be more apt to sell them at the right price.
There are so many different models out there And I haven't kept up with what are the best models I am not sure at this point which way to go. I want a dependable machine that gets more than 40 miles to the tank of gas. I imagine each model (buying used ) has their issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
changing cv joints & boots

I was wondering if you need any special tools to change a cv joint or a boot on a Polaris axle. Also Where do you check for wear on these axles ?
I have jacks & jack stands , Impact wrench and impact sockets standard & metric. I also have snap ring pliers of both types.

·
Registered
376 Posts
need to take the knuckle off the front wheel and the axle sometimes is hard to pull out of the diff, the splines into the diff on the inner joint like to rust in, I would look into buying a Yamaha as I've had great success with them, have now a 450 Kodiak with 5500 miles owned by a 14 yr old kid that just rode it and it needed half the work as the 1200 mile popo 600
Also parts prices are cheaper on Yamaha, also Suzuki king quads are very nimble and quick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts