Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a machine for my son. Even though I have a Polaris, I have been shopping all youth models. I am still leaning towards one of the Polaris models. My nephews had a 90 that would be about 8 years old now that they destroyed (very poor maintenance and the boys just trashed it so that fact that it no longer runs I don't hold against Polaris). The 90 would be just about right as far as size and power go for my 8 year old, at least for a year or 2.
Being that I only have the 70 and the 110 to choose from now, I am afraid he will out grow the 70 (I know its physically the same size as the 90 but will it just not have any power in a year for him). Or will the 110 still be a little too big for him even though is a big 8 year old. I have not wrote off other manufactures (I know its hard to beat the little Honda's and Suzuki's) because they make 90s and have great resale.

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have an Eton 90 and my kids haven't quite out grown it yet. My son is 11 and my daughter rides it some, she is 15. Now that I let them on my 570, their 90 doesn't get any use. Need to clean it up and sell it.....

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
Polaris, Yamaha, Kawasaki........ They are all Chinese manufactured - Polaris is usually manufactured by Eton or Aeon depending on the model.

The old Suzuki LT80 and the Polaris 90, Arctic Cat 90 and Dinli two stroke were all made by Dinli and all based on the Minarelli engine design.

You have even odds it will break or last for years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wouldn't be too afraid of going for a 110. You can always limit the throttle and open it up as they grow with. But yeah id go honda.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there much of a size difference between the 110 and say the Honda 90 (not engine size)? He's not a small kid but if I bought the honda, I'm worried he would be to big for it by the time he is 10 and I honestly don't want to buy another youth model. My hope is that whatever I get him, it will last him until he is 12 or so and I can buy an older, reliable 200-250 cc sized machine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd go Honda. Can't imagine the power difference could offset the reliability. It's too bad honda doesn't build anything 125 anymore. Awesome engine. Had a high and low too. I suppose you could hunt down an old fortrax 125.

·
Registered
11,254 Posts
Kids grow and the ATV stays the same size - you will either get one the right size for him and in a year or two get him another one or get one too big for him and he will grow into it and then out of it and need another one.

I would get him the cheapest one available (new or used) and in a year or two upgrade to the next cheapest correct sized unit. Worst thing you can do is get one too big for him to operate safely and then having him get hurt on it, but hurt is a part of life. You don't blame the machine, the manufacturer, the land owner or the terrain.

You get him the machine, all the proper safety equipment, provide supervision and training and hope for the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts