Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2002 damaged 700 sportsman with a hydro-locked motor. I tore down engine and the crankshaft is shot, as are the pistons(the rest is good). Does anyone know if the 800 crankshaft will fit in the 700 crankcase? If so I can get an 800 crankshaft $200 cheaper! My research shows the cylinder jug is the same. I will go for the wiseco 12:1 pistons as well, does anyone have a suggestion for a carb upgrade? Should I change the camshaft and exhaust?

P.S.
I did a little extra research and the 700-800 crankcases are one and the same(according to 2005 polaris microfiche). Still need carb advise.

Regards
James

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
are you thinking you might want to go with a bigger carb, aftermarket camshaft and exhaust for performance gains? or you just trying to stay around stock?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want the quad to be any louder, so maybe skip the exhaust. I do want to make sure I don't lean out the mixture with too small a carb, so maybe 2 jet sizes bigger might be enough to run the factory carb, the increase in compression to 12:1 might necessitate a change of carb though. I am not looking for a race motor, I would like some extra power if I and when I want it. I have a factory take-off exhaust for an 08 800 sportsman that I will probably useon this unit.

Regards
James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts