Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new here i was adjusting my 700 twin rear shocks and broke the adjusting piece. i can order the part for cheap but how hard is it to put this piece back on the shock any help would be great. i think i can handle it but would like advice thanks.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
what piece, the part the spanner wrench goes on and has the little ridges around it that the bottom of the spring sits in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes that piece. part of my problem might have been i was using channel locks not the spanner wrench. but it was the lower piece where the wrench should go.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
its easy to do, with the right tools. if you dont have a spring compressor, its is going to be a pain in the ass. you could do it with two ratcheting tiedown straps, but even that is hard. without proper tools, it becomes quite dangerous if that spring breaks loose as you are trying to compress it again. if you attempt it you will want someone there to help you. there is the possiblity that if the spring shot off the shock and hit you in the side of the head, it would probably kill you, so be careful if you attempt this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i was afraid of i dont have a press. my local shop wants to charge $120 to put on the $10 part. might give it a try ill look at it better tommorow. thanks for your help let me know if you come up with any other clever suggestions. im all for saving the cash.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i hear ya! have you tried calling any auto suspension shops, see if they will do it. they might have better tools, which will take less time, which should cost less money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You may also want to just visit a local rental shop or auto parts store. Many of them have spring compressors either as a rental item or a loan a tool.

Schultzy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts