Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-

I have a 04 Sportsman 700 non EFI that I am fixing up for a friend. I cannot seem to get the tachometer working, have traced the wires, checked continuity all is good. Appears it would be the gauge or the CDI box. At some point the bike went over and the bezel is missing on the gauge, not sure how much water has gone down it. All the other gauge functions seem to work? The one ride I took it on it did fine, did throw a battery light however. It has a new battery and appears to be charging from all the tests I have run.

Are there any words of wisdom regarding testing the gauge/CDI or narrowing down the problem further? The service manual doesn’t have anything to help with this issue. I am trying to figure out if this is the only issue or possibly there are others such as the battery light.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2003 700, and I thought that you could only disply the tach to adjust the idle speed, and that is was not available during normal operation on the display. I will check my manual, but I believe the 2002-2004 all work the same way....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I saw that post too. When in Diagnostic mode the tach didn't do anything. Have had to do some wire repairs, critters in the pod, I will recheck and update the tread.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked tach operation in regular and diagnostic mode, still inoperative, both modes

Spoke with a couple dealers and could not get clarity as to when or if the tach should work? Regular or diagnostic mode? Does anybody have more information on this?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am going to check my 700 tonight and will get back to you. I am fairly certain the only time you will see it display is in diagnostic mode to set the idle speed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Okay, so I checked my 2003 700 twin and my 2003 400 and they both work the same way.

Set the parking brake
Put transmission in neutral
If you had to turn the key on to see what gear you were in, turn it back off
Wait 10 seconds
Hold down the yellow reverse/override button
Turn the key on, it the display should be in diagnostic mode
Use the button to cycle thru the options, you should see battery voltage, oil pressure light, and the third option should be tachometer to set idle speed
To get out of diagnostic mode, turn off the key, or put it in gear

You cannot view tach while the machine is in normal operation mode, only diag to set the idle speed...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for checking for me. Think @ this point I am going to run it for a bit, see if any other issues come up and go from there. Invest in a gauge once I see how it runs for a while.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts